ED Customer Service Specialist (Part Time/Night Shift)
POSITION SUMMARY: Provides complete and accurate patient identification, arrival, registration, insurance verification and visitor management within the Emergency Department. Capable of coordinating and communicating effectively during increased volumes, with complex patients or medical/social situations.
HOURS: Part Time (20 hours/week). Night Shift. Hours vary between 10:45 pm and 7:00 am Monday through Friday.. Every other weekend. Every other holiday.
LOCATION: Lancaster General Hospital
SIGN ON BONUS: $500 (external candidates only)
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Work collaboratively and communicate effectively with members of the interdisciplinary team within the Emergency Department to provide excellent patient experience and facilitate care.
- Performs accurate patient arrival via walk in, EMS or law enforcement. This includes active verification of identity during arm banding process.
- Screening, logging and badging of patient visitors in Visitor Management system in accordance with the visitor management policies.
- Manage patient paging system process to inform patients and visitors of next steps in care.
- Performs complete and accurate bedside patient registration including all areas of the ED (Fast Care, Main, Behavioral Health) including verification of demographics, emergency contacts, guarantor information and other hospital account information which may also include insurance coverage.
- Bedside registration of trauma patients in the Trauma Bay which includes active verification of patient identification with patients and/or families. This may include collaboration with clinical staff, law enforcement, EMS, etc. in a high stress/fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrates ability to successfully adapt and perform during times of high volumes and/or high patient acuity. Demonstrates skills to serve both stable and critical patients while remaining professional.
- Engage in assisting patients and/or visitors in waiting room management tasks including transfer in/out of cars, making phone calls, providing comfort measures, informing of delays/wait times and rooming process.
- Facilitate all Emergency Department phone calls at front desk and assist or transfer call as necessary. Screens and accurately relays messages using protocols established for emergent, urgent and non-urgent calls.
- Effectively manages general patient complaints/concerns in a professional manner, escalating more complex issues to clinical staff, or registration leadership as needed.
- Understands and supports Point of Service Collections. Performs all necessary functions needed to collect patient obligations.
- Refers patient to appropriate person for questions regarding; collections, insurance coverages, and financial assistance.
- Performs electronic and manual verification of insurance coverage and understands how to read and accurately apply electronic insurance responses.
- Scans legal ID and insurance cards into appropriate medical record.
- Completes documentation for compliance and regulatory needs including obtaining signatures on required documents. Retains knowledge and abides by all regulatory requirements such as EMTALA pertaining to duties of position and overall operations (as applicable).
- Completes assigned registration work queues according to performance standards.
- Ability to resolve work queue issues and missing registration items via electronic medical record.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School Diploma or equivalent (GED).
- One (1) year of clerical, customer service, or administrative support experience in a highly customer-oriented organization.
- One (1) year experience with basic keyboarding, personal computer use, and other office setting equipment.
- One (1) year of registration experience, point of service collection, insurance validation, understanding of compliance /regulatory guidelines.
- Previous Epic or equivalent Electronic Medical Record experience.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 09/15/2023
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.