Wound Ostomy & Continence RN - WOCN
Penn Medicine Home Health
Provides comprehensive, family-oriented nursing care to patients with ostomies, draining wounds, fistulas, pressure sores and incontinence in their place of residence through the nursing process of assessment, diagnosis, planning, implementation and evaluation. Works with physicians to develop or change care plan in patient’s best interest.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Maintains current knowledge of enterstomal/ wound care nursing and home health through participation in seminars, in-services, and independent professional development.
- Participates in staff meetings, agency sponsored in-services and team meetings.
- Provides in services/ updates to staff pertinent to wound care.
- Assists Clinical Supervisor with wound care competency evaluations.
- Provides in-home supervision of the Home Health Aide Coordinates cost effective use of wound care supplies, and collaborates with Clinical Supervisor to research and trial new wound care products.
- In collaboration with patient, caregivers, and other members of the health care team: Conducts an initial and ongoing patient assessment including OASIS data as required.Demonstrates proficiency in assessing patient’s physical, psychosocial, emotional and environmental status for appropriateness for home care. May complete admission documentation which includes previous medical history, current physical and psychosocial status, treatments and interventions needed, family and support system. Performs ongoing assessment of patient’s physical, psychosocial, emotional and environmental status, family and support system. Demonstrates basic keyboarding skills and ability to use agency computer documentation system.
- May establish, provide recommendations and make modifications to a written plan of care in conjunction with other members of the health care team (Physicians, therapists, nurses, social workers, and home health aides) based on medical and nursing diagnosis, identified patient care needs, and standards of care. Identifies expected outcomes and establishes realistic goals for patient and caregivers based on assessments. Determines nursing interventions and teaching required to achieve each expected outcome and goal. Coordinates care and service provided to patient by other members of the health care team including agency employees, other agencies and vendors.
- Implements the Plan of Care and Patient Care Plan.Performs skilled nursing procedures as ordered by patient’s physician in accordance with Visiting Nurse Association Home Care policies and procedures and RN Practice Act. Provides education to patient and caregivers regarding medical condition, medications and nutritional requirements. Demonstrates proficiency in performance of skills necessary to care for patients (Wound Care, Ostomy Care, Venipuncture and other skills as necessary).
- Evaluates the outcomes of nursing care. Evaluates and documents patient and/or caregiver response to care interventions, and/ or teaching. Evaluates patient progress toward outcomes of care.Modifies plan of care based on ongoing assessments.
- Communicates relevant patient information to the healthcare team as appropriate. Maintains appropriate case conferences with supervisor as needed.
- Complies with Safety Management and Infection Control procedures. Complies with Visiting Nurse Association policies and procedures related to Infection Control, including but not limited to:Hand washing, Body Substance Precautions, Disposal of Medically Related Materials, Post-Exposure Testing and Prophylaxis Cleaning, Disinfecting and Redistributing of Medical Equipment and Supplies.
- Demonstrates skills related to safe use of equipment. Demonstrates skills to prevent personal injury. Uses Good Body Mechanics and Safe Driving Practices.
- Exercises good health and personal hygiene practices.
- Develops educational tools and educaes nursing personnel and other health care providers regarding wound and ostomy care.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Develops new practices and clinical programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Graduate of an accredited baccalaureate program in nursing.
- Current Bachelors Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Current licensure as a Registered Professional Nurse (RN) in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- Current board certification in Wound Ostomy Continence Nursing (WOCN).
- CPR Certification - American Heart Association (AHA) Basic Life Support, formerly Healthcare Provider (AHA Heart Saver courses for CPR are not accepted).
- Use of personal vehicle, valid operator’s license and car insurance.
Attention/Concentration: The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus on certain aspects of current experience and reject others.
The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
New Learning and Memory: The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to learn and retain material.
The position requires that an individual be able to learn new tasks quickly and effectively. Job requirements change frequently. The ability to understand and carry out detailed, involved instructions is mandatory.
Problem Solving, Reasoning and Creative Thinking: The following level of ability that is essential for the jobholder to think (in order to solve a problem) by combining two or more elements from past experience or imaginative thought.
The position requires much autonomy of thought and problem solving. The individual must be able to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to define problems. The individual must be able to think abstractly, which is manifested in the ability to form concepts, use categories, generalize from single instances, apply procedural rules and general principles, and be aware of subtle or intrinsic aspects of a problem. The development of hypothesis and potential solutions to problems involves careful interpretation, analysis and diagnosis. The individual must be able to collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. The individual must be able to think creatively with a degree of inventiveness, experimentation and intuition. They must be able to deal with a variety of concrete and abstract variables.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act.
Leadership, control and planning: Ability to accept responsibility for leadership, direction, control, planning, negotiating, organizing, directing, supervising, formulating practices, or making final decisions.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies
Software: Microsoft Office Products
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Continuously
- Stand: Continuously
- Walk: Continuously
- Bend: Continuously
- Push: Continuously
- Pull: Continuously
- Kneel/Squat: Continuously
- Reach: Continuously
- Twist: Continuously
- Balance: Continuously
- Climb: Continuously
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is: Heavy, exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
Position involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
- Bio hazardous Waste
- Blood borne Pathogens
- Extreme Noise Levels
- Extreme Temperatures
- Exposed Electrical Lines
- High Pressure Steam/Gas
- Moving/Rotating Machinery
- Radioactive Agents
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.
Posted on 05/03/2022