Unit Clerk-Emergency Medicine (24hrs/week, Evenings)
Lancaster General Hospital
4560 Emergency Medicine
POSITION SUMMARY: Assumes responsibility for the organization of the nurse’s station and monitors all related activity. Performs multiple clerical duties necessary for maintaining complete and correct kardex, clinical charts, records, charges and reports. Performs a variety of receptionist duties within assigned areas.
weekend rotation, 4 out of 8 holiday rotation
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Transcribes all orders from the patient charts onto the chart and medication sheets. Completes all paperwork and telephone notifications related to those procedures. Notifies the RN of all STAT/Now orders.
- Organizes and maintains patient records by filing reports on the appropriate charts, calling for old records on all admissions, thinning charts, copying reports, assembling charts and ensuring completeness.
- Coordinates communication with physicians, staff, patients and families through use of telephone and intercom systems.
- Completes documentation related to unit activity such as current census, patient admissions, discharges, transfers, surgeries, Nursing Station Activity Sheet and diet sheets under the direction of the Head Nurse.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Runs errands as requested by nurses on duty, including drug basket to drug room, goods from Central Supply, medications from Pharmacy, etc.
- Ensures adequate inventory of supplies and materials by assessing available space and ordering daily and weekly supplies according to the standard.
- Enters data on the computer.
- Participates in the orientation and acts as a preceptor for other Unit Clerks under the direction of the Unit Clerk instructor, Head Nurse or Charge Nurse.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED).
- One (1) year of computer experience.
- One (1) year of secretarial experience.
- One (1) year of experience with medical terminology.
- The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
New Learning and Memory:
- Job demands are only moderately routine and predictable. Minor changes may occur which require the individual to be able to understand and carry out detailed but uninvolved instructions.
Problem Solving, Reasoning and Creative Thinking:
- The position deals with issues or problems that often require thoughtful reasoning before arriving at approaches or solutions. Some independent thought, planning or origination of options and solutions is necessary. The individual must have the ability to apply principles of reasoning and problem solving to resolve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies
Software: Microsoft Office Products, clinical information systems
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: frequently
- Stand: frequently
- Walk: frequently
- Bend: Seldom
- Push: Frequently
- Pull: Seldom
- Kneel/Squat: Seldom
- Reach: Occasionally
- Twist: Seldom
- Balance: Seldom
- Climb: Occasionally
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is: Moderate, exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Position involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
Posted on 07/16/2020