Trim Carpenter (7:30-4p with on call)
Lancaster General Hospital
1520 Operation of Plant
Operation of Plant
POSITION SUMMARY: Provide customer service to patients and employees in maintaining the facility through maintenance of carpentry repairs and projects. Performs all types of carpentry and related tasks necessary to construct and maintain buildings, grounds, properties, and equipment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Constructs new walls using studs and drywall, wire lathe studs and wire, and masonry construction techniques.
- Installs bulletin boards, pictures, and other wall hangings, using proper leveling and anchoring techniques.
- Installs, aligns, and levels door bucks, doors, cabinetry, counter tops, casework, shelving, etc.
- Modifies doors and door bucks for installation of hardware, locks, closures, strikes, mutes, hinges, etc.
- Builds wooden laminate cabinets, countertops, shelving units, and specialty casework.
- Repairs, levels, and installs suspended ceiling.
- Reviews prints, prepares sketches, drawings, and layout information for new installations or modifications and submits for review.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Builds forms and pours cement for bases, steps, and curb repairs.
- Repairs sub-floors and installs floor tile, sheet goods, carpeting, etc.
- Repairs windows and screens, and glazes and caulks as necessary.
- Makes repairs to roofs and flashing.
- Modifies and repairs stainless steel and metal for various projects.
- Participates in departmental in-service programs to improve working knowledge of equipment and processes.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Graduate of Trade School and/or Apprenticeship.
- Valid PA Driver’s License.
- Three (3) years experience in commercial/institutional maintenance.
- Three (3) years experience in commercial/institutional construction and finish carpentry.
- Two (2) years experience in concrete and masonry work.
- Three (3) years experience in hospital construction/maintenance.
- Three (3) years experience in a master or journeyman trade status.
- One (1) year experience in cabinet- making.
ATTENTION/CONCENTRATION ‑ The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus on certain aspects of current experience and reject others:
- The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
NEW LEARNING AND MEMORY ‑ The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to learn and retain material:
- The position requires that an individual be able to learn new tasks quickly and effectively. Job requirements change frequently. The ability to understand and carry out detailed, involved instructions is mandatory.
PROBLEM SOLVING, REASONING AND CREATIVE THINKING ‑ The following level of ability that is essential for the jobholder to think (in order to solve a problem) by combining two or more elements from past experience or imaginative thought:
- The position deals with issues or problems that often require thoughtful reasoning before arriving at approaches or solutions. Some independent thought, planning or origination of options and solutions is necessary. The individual must have the ability to apply principles of reasoning and problem solving to resolve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies, table saw, arm saw, band saw, planer, joiner, belt sander, router, laminate trimmer, drill press, grinder, drill, screw gun, saber saw, circular saw, portable planer, power washer, jack hammer, telephone, scaffolding, ladder, flatbed cart, dolly, hand saw, hammer, screwdriver, wrench, hammer drill, coping saw, chisel, level vacuum cleaner, mixer, shovel, trowel, putty knife, ice scraper, utility knife.
Software: Microsoft Office Products
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Rarely
- Stand: Frequently
- Walk: Occasionally
- Bend: Occasionally
- Push: Frequently
- Pull: Frequently
- Kneel/Squat: Frequently
- Reach: Frequently
- Twist: Frequently
- Balance: Frequently
- Climb: Frequently
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is:
Heavy, exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Position involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
- Extreme Noise Levels
- Moving/Rotating Machinery
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
Posted on 09/18/2019