Trauma Registrar (Full-Time 36hrs/week)
Lancaster General Hospital
4595 Trauma Service
Trauma Service Administration
Schedule: 36 hrs/wk- Start time hours range between 6:30 am and 7:30 am M-F. No weekends/No holidays.
This position is located in Lancaster, PA
ATTENTION: Please be aware that, if you are an external applicant, you may need to complete an online assessment as part of the hiring process. This assessment will be sent to the e-mail address that you included in your application. Please note: Some e-mail accounts may receive the assessment e-mail in their junk/spam e-mail. This assessment must be completed within 5 days of receiving it. For more information regarding the assessment, please click HERE.
POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible for complete and accurate review of all trauma patient records, collecting data for the PA Trauma Systems Foundation (PTSF), trauma services medical record abstract, and decision support in managing the care of the trauma patient. Maintains and protects the integrity of the Trauma Registry database including S.M.S. and Collectorä interfaces, data management, data analysis, report writing, as well as statistical and graphic output of trauma data.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Performs concurrent in-house trauma record abstraction and interprets the clinical data in the record for accurate entry into the trauma database in a timely manner. Generates and analyzes concurrent data reports in response to Trauma Service requests or through self-directed processes. Maintains confidentiality and security of all patient data in the Trauma Registry.
- Accurately assigns applicable ICD-9-CM codes for all injury descriptors and procedures found in the trauma patient medical record. Determines optimal AIS score for injuries. Effective utilization of the ICD-9-CM coding books, Tricodeä software, Abbreviated Injury_Scale scoring book by the Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine, and encoder are essential. Conforms to PTSF requirements for Accredited Trauma Center participation in the state registry.
- Actively participates as a vital team member in concurrent and retrospective Trauma Service performance improvement initiatives by providing expertise with data retrieval and data manipulation from the trauma registry system. Analyzes data and provides information ensuring that customer requirements are met by utilizing reports and graphics.
- Acts as system administrator for the Trauma Registry. Assures the integrity of the system with timely updates, enhancements, and system back-up. Is able to independently troubleshoot hardware and software system problems as they arise.
- Concurrently analyzes patient medical records according to established criteria to identify patients for inclusion in the Trauma Registry database. Accurately and efficiently identifies PTSF qualifiers and audit filters and assures timely submission of data via the electronic bulletin board system to the PA Trauma Systems Foundation. Maintains an accurate trauma patient log.
- Functions as an important resource to plan, identify, trend, analyze, and integrate new data collection elements for use in trauma patient care management, performance improvement, statistical and research purposes. Proficient in report writing skills while utilizing trauma registry data.
- Attends and actively participates in required PTSF and hospital education sessions. Participates on trauma-related committees. Demonstrates communication skills that support the registrar’s role in trauma initiatives.
- Participates in registrar inter-rater reliability reviews.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Completes a statistical report of all trauma patient and registry data and prepares a monthly report to Trauma Administration.
- Prepares pull lists for special studies and audits.
- Assists and actively participates in site survey process.
- Assists in research projects in tandem with the Trauma Services team.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), Registered Health Information Technologist (RHIT) or Registered Nurse (RN) or completion of certificate/degree in Allied Health profession is preferred.
- Two (2) years experience as an Allied Health professional is essential.
- Working knowledge of ICD-9-CM and personal computer is essential.
- Typing skills and statistical abilities are essential.
Posted on 01/13/2020
- Knowledge of quality care audit procedures is preferred.