Coordinates and dispatches emergency and routine services for internal and external customers. Patient care/customer service includes care/service to patients/customers in the following age groups: neonatal (birth to 30 days), pediatric (30 days through 12 years), adolescent (13 through 18 years), adult (19 through 64 years), and geriatric (65 years and above).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Receive emergency calls from internal emergency numbers at LGH and LGH Health Pavilion (7911, 3911)as well as panic alarms within LGH . Dispatchers must take appropriate actions to coordinate Security, Fire, Haz Mat, and EMS. Dispatcher for any and all emergencies which require non clinical emergency response (combative patients/visitors, fires, vandalism, facility malfunctions, elevator entrapment, facility alarms, panic alarms, door alarms, equipment alarms). Penn Medicine/Lancaster General Health (LGH) dispatchers elevate response to local emergency responders as necessary/if incident exceeds internal capabilities (in alignment with HICS standards).
- Dispatches and tracks Hospital Security Officers on Emergent and non emergent Events.
- Monitors and maintains recorders for Closed Circuit Security and Trauma Cameras.
- Coordinates Helicopter Transfer requests and Landings at LGH.
- Coordination center for all hospital related transports with EMS.
- Coordinates Medical Command and EMS Medical Reports.
- Dispatching and Re-dispatching testing responsibilities for EMS and Fire.
- Responsible for hospital divert notifications.
- Responsible for daily statistical information.
- Information system management with Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD), database and statistical information management- CAD system reports on emergency resource activities, patient transport discharges, alarm activations, med command events, other emergencies as needed.
- Performance Improvement activities.
- Provides EMS Coordination for WBH Perinatal Response Teams.
- Follows Emergency Procedures Guidelines (Code; K, H, Blue. Condition; 8, red, yellow, green. And Bomb Threats). Operates under JCO standard EM. 02.02.01. to ensure communications with internal and external resources/emergency responders is maintained at all times up to and including PEMA radio operation.
- Provides close communication with Nursing Supervisor on numerous events.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Provides directions to LGH for patients and visitors unfamiliar area.
- Provides license / employee sticker information to security.
- Coordinates requests for county emergency resources to LGH. When external resources are provided, the LGH ECC's role is to bridge coms with the facility ops teams and external ops teams until unified command is otherwise established.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School diploma or equivalent (GED) required.
- Customer Service Skills / Communication Skills.
- Computer Experience (Windows Word, Excel / Lotus Approach / Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD)/ Database management).
- Recognized Telecommunicator Course or Emergency Medical Technician preferred.
- Previous experience in the field or office operation of EMS/Fire/Police operations is recommended.
- A health care provider in good standing with Medicare, Medicaid, and other federal and state health insurance programs, i.e. not excluded from participation in Medicare, Medicaid or any other federal or state health insurance program.
ATTENTION/CONCENTRATION – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus on certain aspects of current experience and reject others:
The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
NEW LEARNING AND MEMORY – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to learn and retain material:
Job demands are only moderately routine and predictable. Minor changes may occur which require the individual to be able to understand and carry out detailed but uninvolved instructions.
PROBLEM SOLVING, REASONING AND CREATIVE THINKING – The following level of ability that is essential for the jobholder to think (in order to solve a problem) by combining two or more elements from past experience or imaginative thought:
The position deals with issues or problems that often require thoughtful reasoning before arriving at approaches or solutions. Some independent thought, planning or origination of options and solutions is necessary. The individual must have the ability to apply principles of reasoning and problem solving to resolve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies, Radio Communications, Computer Aided Dispatch System, VCR, Intercom’s, Camera Multiplexor, Camera Joystick, Writing instruments, Screw drivers
Software: Microsoft Office Products, Internet, Lotus Approach, Approach, SMS
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Continuously
- Stand: Frequently
- Walk: Occasionally
- Bend: Rarely
- Push: Rarely
- Pull: Occasionally
- Kneel/Squat: Rarely
- Twist: Rarely
- Balance: Rarely
- Climb: Rarely
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is: Light, exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Position involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
- Extreme Noise Levels
- Exposed Electrical Lines
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.