Switchboard Operator - Lancaster General Hospital (Part-time, .5 FTE)
At Lancaster General Health, our culture is what sets us apart and creates a lasting impression of our health system in the community and in the hearts of our patients and their families. A role with us is more than just a job, we ask that you Live Your Legacy at LGH by finding your passion in your everyday role, committing to those you serve, and reaching for your personal best.
We are recognized as 1 of only 9 hospitals in the entire country with awards in Medicare.Gov, LEAPFROG and Healthgrades Americas 50 Best Hospitals. We have attained four-year Magnet ® recognition status for the fourth time with the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center (ANCC) and we are the 2018 recipient of the Foster G. McGaw Prize in recognition of the commitment to community service.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers a comprehensive benefits package:
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program so that our employees can stay actively engaged and committed to living their legacy every day. Together, we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Join us and be part of a team that empowers you to do more than your job and encourages you to:
Live Your Passion. Live Your Best. Live Your Commitment. Live Your Legacy.
Lancaster General Hospital
3043 Customer Relations Contact Center
Customer Relations Contact Center
Benefits of Joining Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health:
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH combines a Nationally Ranked Hospital with great schools, safe neighborhoods, affordable housing, local community events and festivals as well as a wealth of cultural and recreational activities. The scenic Susquehanna River Valley provides opportunities for fishing, skiing, kayaking, hiking and mountain biking in addition to easy access to NJ shoreline or Delaware beaches. Urban life is easily accessible, with New York, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. a train ride away. Local universities, Fulton Theatre, the downtown shopping and dining district and local sports teams make Lancaster a great place to Live, Work and Play.
ATTENTION: Please be aware that, if you are an external applicant, you may need to complete an online assessment as part of the hiring process. This assessment will be sent to the e-mail address that you included in your application. Please note: Some e-mail accounts may receive the assessment e-mail in their junk/spam e-mail. This assessment must be completed within 5 days of receiving it. For more information regarding the assessment, please click HERE.
This position is located at Lancaster General Hospital. It is part-time, 20 hrs/week.
Schedule is as follows:
Week 1&3 Sunday 3:00p-11:30p
Week 2&4 Monday 4:00p-10:00p
POSITION SUMMARY: The Switchboard Operator runs the telephone system console to facilitate communication. Promotes a positive image of Penn Medicine/Lancaster General Health and provides quality service to all customers. Responds to all emergency calls expeditiously and in a calm and courteous manner. Provides requested information to callers. Monitors and reports all alarms and communicates operational issues to appropriate departments and personnel in a timely, professional and accurate manner.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Responds to and appropriately routes all incoming calls, per switchboard departmental guidelines.
- Activates proper procedure for all alarms, codes, conditions and emergencies, and notifies appropriate personnel per departmental guidelines.
- Deciphers requests and provides requested information to all internal/external callers, collecting appropriate information and asking appropriate questions to correctly respond to the inquiry, or connect to the designated person to further handle the need.
- Pages on-call personnel and physicians as requested. Distributes new departmental pagers.
- Compiles LGH departmental on-call schedules and disseminates the 24-hour coverage to appropriate areas.
- Interviews customer to collect and document accurate and comprehensive information required for answering service calls and requests per departmental procedures. Opens an EPIC telephone encounter as needed.
- Establishes and maintains proficiency in EPIC for the purposes of opening encounters, patient look up, non-clinical chart review and appointment cancelations and rescheduling.
- Maintains and updates directory listings, including phone, fax, pager numbers and any other pertinent information in the online directory.
- Assists physicians and hospital personnel in placing of long-distance calls.
- Adapts to learning new skills in an ever-changing environment, including but not limited to procedural, staffing, and/or technology changes.
- Handles all pertinent medical practice answering service duties, including making sure providers are contacted in appropriate timeframes, for appropriate reasons and as set by guidelines.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Develops updated list of telephone numbers for executive staff, doctors, departmental personnel for emergencies or problem resolutions. Also, maintains a current list of all extensions, other hospitals and frequently called numbers.
- Trains and orients new employees for switchboard operator duties.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Previous customer service experience.
- One (1) to two (2) years computer experience.
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED).
- One (1) year of switchboard experience.
- Customer service experience in a healthcare environment.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.
Posted on 02/11/2021