Surgical Support Assistant
Lancaster General Hospital
Assists with the delivery of patient care in accordance with established methods and procedures, under the supervision and guidance of the RN. Patient care includes care to patients in the following age groups: neonatal (birth to stabilization), pediatric (infant to 12 years), adolescent (13 to 17 years), adult (18 to 64 years), and geriatric (over 64 years).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Prepare the correct surgical bed with linens, retrieve equipment, assist with opening sterile supplies, and check surgical lights and replace bulbs as needed.
- Assist with prep & patient positioning using proper body mechanics.
- Assist with the placement and hook-up of OR equipment.
- Assist scrub team with sterile supplies (Tying the backs of the scrub gowns, etc.).
- Ensure appropriate equipment is obtained prior to and during procedures.
- Transport specimens as requested and ensures bed/stretcher is ready for patient at the end of surgery.
- Assist with lifting or transferring patient from the OR bed to stretcher for transport.
- Clean all flat surfaces and changes out used anesthesia circuit and suction tubing.
- Mop floors, removes and delivers trash to appropriate area.
- Remove surgical equipment and return to appropriate storage.
- Transport patients, if needed.
- Re-stock Operating Rooms, return equipment and supplies to the appropriate areas and report the status of the Operating Rooms to the next shift.
- Routinely performs necessary housekeeping independently within assigned area of department.
- Observe and report unusual situations, reactions, effects, or conditions to responsible person.
- Report and tag equipment that is out of order.
- Understand and follow universal protocol and the parameters of the sterile field and traffic flow for the Operating Room.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Transport patients from the Nursing Units to the Operating Room and from the PACU to the Nursing Unit.
- Troubleshoot issues with the Operating Room electrical bed. Connect electrical equipment to the outlets with guidance from the surgical team and assist with moving equipment up to the sterile field.
- Maintain knowledge of the procedures to follow to place equipment out of service.
- Participates in the on-call responsibilities for this position as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- HS diploma or equivalent (GED).
- CPR Certification.
One (1) year of experience as a hospital patient care assistant.
ATTENTION/CONCENTRATION – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus on certain aspects of current experience and reject others:
The position requires the ability to attend to a specific stimulus without being distracted by extraneous environmental stimuli. The individual must be able to attend to environmental detail with the ability to separate essential from non-essential or irrelevant stimuli. The attention skills required are generally considered to be automatic - - passive, but focused with an intact capacity for select perception.
NEW LEARNING AND MEMORY – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to learn and retain material:
Demands on memory and for processing new information are minimal. The individual must have the ability to understand or carry out simple instructions.
PROBLEM SOLVING, REASONING AND CREATIVE THINKING – The following level of ability that is essential for the jobholder to think (in order to solve a problem) by combining two or more elements from past experience or imaginative thought:
The position requires the ability to evaluate existing options to resolve a presenting problem. The resolutions or options are clearly defined, limited in number and are altered infrequently. Selection of the most appropriate solution is based on well-established and defined guidelines.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act.
Repetitive work: Ability to continuously perform the same type of work for extended periods of time, according to set procedures, sequence or pace.
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies, oxygen tank, AVI pump, PCA pumps, bed scale/floor scale, hoyer lift, suction bottles, feeding pump, anti-thrombic pumps, hypothermia blanket, stethoscope, scissors, flashlight.
Software: Microsoft Office Products clinical information system, e-mail, scheduling system.
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Occasionally
- Stand: Continuously
- Walk: Continuously
- Bend: Frequently
- Push: Occasionally
- Pull: Frequently
- Kneel/Squat: Frequently
- Reach: Frequently
- Twist: Rarely
- Balance: Rarely
- Climb: Rarely
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is: Heavy, exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Position involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
- Bio hazardous Waste
- Blood borne Pathogens
- Extreme Noise Levels
- High Pressure Steam/Gas
- Moving/Rotating Machinery
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
Posted on 07/21/2020