Supervisor Sterile Processing Department-3rd Shift
Lancaster General Hospital
4545 Sterile Processing
Surgical Services-Clinical Education
Monday-Friday, occasional weekends/holidays, occasional coverage for other shifts and other SPD sites.
Supervises Sterile Processing Department, consistent with the mission of Perioperative Services. This position has direct supervision and responsibility for activities of the department 24 hours 7 days a week in every aspect and all areas of Sterile Processing. Effectively directs and monitors shift leaders, technicians and transporters to consistently meet departmental goals to provide safe, sterile, instruments and supplies in an efficient, accurate and professional manner. Communicates routinely with leadership in areas serviced and troubleshoots daily activity and cases changes within the operating room (OR) to provide efficient and quality customer service. This position must plan, evaluate and prioritize workflow without specific instructions, assign work, give specific instructions based on policy/procedure, OR activity, patient census and direction from department manager.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties.
- Demonstrates a through knowledge of the objectives and function of Sterile Processing, its processing equipment, instrumentation, its case cart system, instrument asset management system, resources and policies and procedures.
- Assists in the development of new policies and procedures.
- Recognizes problems and provides timely solutions to proactively prevent reoccurrence.
- Ensures a high level of customer satisfaction as evidenced by a rapid response to customers serviced by establishing and maintaining routine communication with charge nurse, coordinators and managers in users departments.
- Anticipates the availability of appropriate resources and proactively addresses staffing problems.
- Adjusts daily staff schedule as necessary to maintain expected level of services and directs staff to completion of workload according to appropriate priorities
- Assists Manager and department educator in completing special projects.
- Participates in program planning and implementations.
- Maintains open channel of communication with Manager, Instructor, Shift Leaders and Staff.
- Demonstrates knowledge of compliance with established hospital Performance Improvement initiatives, participates, and assists in the implementation of the performance improvement program. .
- Monitors job performance of technicians, transporters and Shift Leaders.
- Assist sManager in conducting and documenting disciplinary counseling in accordance with Human Resources guidelines
- Interviews and assists in hiring when appropriate
- Prepare annual evaluations, collaboratively determine individual achievable goals.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above.
- Financial Responsibilities:
Judiciously maintains staffing budget. Maintains determined production to operational expense ratio. Provides budget planning input to manager as requested. Collaborates with other supervisors to insure adequate par level departmental, loaner instrument and Implantable inventories are maintained.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School diploma or equivalent (GED)
- Graduate of an approved school of surgical technology (Certified Surgical Technologist (CST))
- Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST) through International Association of Healthcare Central Service Material Management (IAHCSMM)
- Two to three years Supervisory experience in related field.
- Good computer skills.
- Two to four (2-4) years of surgical technologist experience.
- One to two (1-2) years of shift leader/coordinator/supervisory experience.
- IAHCSMM Certified Healthcare Leader (CHL)
Attention/Concentration: The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus on certain aspects of current experience and reject other.
The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
New Learning and Memory: The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to learn and retain material.
The position requires that an individual be able to learn new tasks quickly and effectively. Job requirements change frequently. The ability to understand and carry out detailed, involved instructions is mandatory.
Problem Solving, Reasoning and Creative Thinking: The following level of ability that is essential for the jobholder to think (in order to solve a problem) by combining two or more elements from past experience or imaginative thought.
The position required much autonomy of thought and problem solving. The individual must be able to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to define problems. The individual must be able to think abstractly, which is manifested in the ability to form concepts, use categories, generalize from single instances, apply procedural rules and general principles, and be aware of subtle or intrinsic aspects of a problem. The development of hypothesis and potential solutions to problems involves careful interpretation, analysis and diagnosis. The individual must be able to collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. The individual must be able to think creatively with a degree of inventiveness, experimentation and intuition. They must be able to deal with a variety of concrete and abstract variables.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act.
Leadership, control and planning: Ability to accept responsibility for leadership, direction, control, planning, negotiating, organizing, directing, supervising, formulating practices, or making final decisions.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies
Software: Microsoft Office Products
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Rarely
- Stand: frequently
- Walk: frequently
- Bend: occasionally
- Push: frequently
- Pull: frequently
- Reach: frequently
- Twist: occasionally
- Balance: rarely
- Climb: rarely
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is: Heavy, exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
Position involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
- Bio hazardous Waste
- Blood borne Pathogens
- Extreme Noise Levels
- High Pressure Steam/Gas
- Moving/Rotating Machinery
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
Posted on 09/25/2019