Student Nurse Extern
Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health is dedicated to providing a supportive and collaborative environment to help nursing students enhance their clinical knowledge and help prepare them for their future transition from student to novice nurse. The Student Nurse Extern Program enhances a student’s clinical experience and provides the unique opportunity to utilize clinical assessment and patient care skills the student has gained thus far in their nursing education. The externship is an 8 ½ week full-time summer program, begins at the end of May, and ends in late July.
For the full-time summer program, the Student Nurse Extern (SNE) will be assigned to Registered Nurse preceptors in two different nursing units (4-week rotations) and benefit from their clinical expertise. The SNE will have the opportunity to observe diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, as well as learn how ancillary departments work with nursing to provide quality care to each patient. This experience will give the SNE the opportunity to oversee a patient assignment, perform basic nursing procedures, and observe and assist the Registered Nurse with advanced procedures. Professional Development and Educational Extern Conference curriculum also provided weekly during rotation hours. For those who would be interested in continuing to build on their nursing skills, an additional winter clinical rotation will be offered during winter break from nursing school.
LOCATION: Lancaster, PA
HOURS: Full-time; day shift; Monday-Thursday with potential for 12-hour or 10-hour shifts depending on the rotation assignment.
This is a 8 1/2-week program which runs from the end of May 2023 through the end of July 2023
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Assists RN in completing Nursing Procedures, data collection (Patient Data Base) and patient/significant other education.
- Performs and assists RN with skin care and patient hygiene (e.g., dressing changes, Duoderm application, and ROM).
- Performs basic pulmonary procedures (e.g., incentive spirometer; pulse ox, specimen collection, trach care, and suctioning).
- Provides comfort, basic support, and safety measures for patients and significant others.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Current nursing student enrolled in an ASN, BSN, or diploma program
- Anticipated graduation date of December 2023 or spring 2024 preferred
- Completion of at least one nursing clinical rotation in an acute care setting (prior to start of externship)
- GPA 3.0 or higher
- Current AHA CPR/BLS certification
This position requires PA Child Abuse and FBI Fingerprinting Clearances
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 09/19/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.