Sterile Processing Unit Clerk (Part Time)
POSITION SUMMARY: Assumes responsibility for the organization of the nurse’s station and monitors all related activity. Performs multiple clerical duties necessary for maintaining complete and correct kardex, clinical charts, records, charges and reports. Performs a variety of receptionist duties within assigned areas.
Primary Job Functions
1. Prepares, distributes, and files a wide variety of reports, as required.
• Retrieves statistical information from Instrument Tracking System as requested.
2. Assumes clerical duties necessary to assist health care team to provide optimum support services.
3. Operates a variety of office equipment effectively.
• Demonstrates proper use of Fax, copier machines, phone system, etc.
4. Maintains office supplies and disposable offline clinical supplies and reorders when necessary.
5. Receives and directs phone calls and serves as the receptionist for the department.
6. Maintains current computer skills.
• Acts as Webmaster for SPD intranet site. Ensures that all SPD policies are updated annually and as needed.
• Maintains instrument count sheets in the SPD Instrument Tracking System.
7. Attends all department meetings. Required to record and post minutes.
8. Responsible for managing instrument and equipment repair process. Includes obtaining purchase order, Return Authorization, quote, and shipping.
9. Responsible for ordering all surgical instruments and related equipment as directed by manager and supervisor.
10. Assures that the Vendor Room is neat and organized and validates that vendor instrumentation in the Vendor Room remains on site for the length of time that is permitted per hospital policy.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Runs errands as requested by nurses on duty, including drug basket to drug room, goods from Central Supply, medications from Pharmacy, etc.
- Ensures adequate inventory of supplies and materials by assessing available space and ordering daily and weekly supplies according to the standard.
- Enters data on the computer.
- Participates in the orientation and acts as a preceptor for other Unit Clerks under the direction of the Unit Clerk instructor, Head Nurse or Charge Nurse.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED).
- One (1) year of computer experience.
- One (1) year of secretarial experience.
- One (1) year of experience with medical terminology.
- The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
New Learning and Memory:
- Job demands are only moderately routine and predictable. Minor changes may occur which require the individual to be able to understand and carry out detailed but uninvolved instructions.
Problem Solving, Reasoning and Creative Thinking:
- The position deals with issues or problems that often require thoughtful reasoning before arriving at approaches or solutions. Some independent thought, planning or origination of options and solutions is necessary. The individual must have the ability to apply principles of reasoning and problem solving to resolve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies
Software: Microsoft Office Products, clinical information systems
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: frequently
- Stand: frequently
- Walk: frequently
- Bend: Seldom
- Push: Frequently
- Pull: Seldom
- Kneel/Squat: Seldom
- Reach: Occasionally
- Twist: Seldom
- Balance: Seldom
- Climb: Occasionally
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is: Moderate, exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Position involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely. #LI-MD1
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 10/19/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.