Sterile Processing Transporter - 3rd Shift
Lancaster General Hospital
4545 Sterile Processing
POSITION SUMMARY: Provides operational support to SPD, Surgical Services and Clinical Services. Operational support includes case carts, OR drape/pack carts, individual items, patient care equipment delivery and soiled pick up of same, on a routine and as needed schedule. This position may also perform decontamination, cleaning; function test, assembly and labeling of patient care equipment. This position may be required to assist with the shelf stocking activities to include sterile instrument trays, peel pouches, reusable OR drape packs and case cart supplies.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Transports clean completed case carts from the SPD case cart area to the Main and Fondersmith surgical areas. Taking first cases inside the scheduled suite, second cases outside the scheduled suite door and to follow cases to the designated case cart depot area in the OR. Transportation will be on a routine, as needed, and stat delivery schedule.
- Transports dirty case carts from the soiled case cart staging area in the OR, back to the SPD decontamination area. This transport will also occur on a routine and stat schedule.
- Make house wide soiled pick up rounds for patient care equipment and reusable instrument trays on a routine and ASAP scheduled basis.
- Clean, decontaminate, test and distributes PCE (Patient Care Equipment) to patient care areas. Record equipment information for tracking.
- Assist with case cart instrument set, supply restocking.
- Assists with case cart picking. Picks reusable drape packs, supplies and instrumentation required for scheduled Operating Room cases.
- Assist with the OR instrument decontamination/cleaning process as assigned.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Decontaminate, clean, test and assemble patient care equipment.
- Assist with shelf stock resupply.
- Keeps all Central Supply facilities in a neat, clean, stocked and workable order.
- Report instrument malfunction and place in the appropriate location to be sent for repair.
- Report discrepancies, problems and concerns to management using proper chain of command.
- Provides support to co-workers during idle time.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- Two (2) years of medical supply experience in Operating Room Two (2) years of instrument processing
ATTENTION/CONCENTRATION – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus on certain aspects of current experience and reject others:
- The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
NEW LEARNING AND MEMORY – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to learn and retain material:
- A large portion of this position required reliance on verbal memory and new learning. Efficiency in processing of verbal information, either in written or spoken form, is a major requirement and prerequisite of the job. The individual must be able to attend to and process multiple bits of information simultaneously. The individual must be able to organize and categorize this information effectively so that later recall is feasible.
PROBLEM SOLVING, REASONING AND CREATIVE THINKING – The following level of ability that is essential for the jobholder to think (in order to solve a problem) by combining two or more elements from past experience or imaginative thought:
- The position requires the ability to evaluate existing options to resolve a presenting problem. The resolutions or options are clearly defined, limited in number and are altered infrequently. Selection of the most appropriate solution is based on well-established and defined guidelines.
TEMPERAMENTS: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adept, adjust, conform or act:
Repetitive work: Ability to continuously perform the same type of work for extended periods of time, according to set procedures, sequence or pace.
Working within tolerances, set limits or standards: Ability to adapt to situations requiring the precise attainment of set limits, tolerances, or standards; to be precise, thorough, exacting, or meticulous in regard to material worked; or in activities such as numerical determinations, record preparation, or inspecting.
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: autoclave, Steris system, Sterrad, sonic cleaner, washer/decontaminator, index washer, cart washer, telephone, heat sealer, computer, copier, calculator, pen/pencil, intercom, box knife, hopper, sterilizer cart, case carts, delivery carts,
elevator, cell/head phones, pager and fax machine, air gun, stapler, scissors, files, screwdriver, wrench, and dating gun.
Software: clinical information system
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Rarely
- Stand: Continuously
- Walk: Continuously
- Bend: Rarely
- Push: Frequently
- Pull: Frequently
- Kneel/Squat: Rarely
- Reach: Frequently
- Twist: Rarely
- Balance: Rarely
- Climb: Occasionally
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is:
Moderate, exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Position involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
- Bio hazardous Waste
- Blood borne Pathogens
- Extreme Noise Levels
- Exposed Electrical Lines
- High Pressure Steam/Gas
- Moving/Rotating Machinery
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
Posted on 07/27/2020