Sterile Processing Technician - FT - Night Shift
Lancaster General Hospital
4545 Sterile Processing
Position will work 40 hours/week between the hours of 11:00pm- 7:30am; weekend/holiday rotation; on-call.
This position requires PA Child Abuse and FBI Fingerprinting Clearances.
ATTENTION: Please be aware that, if you are an external applicant, you may need to complete an online assessment as part of the hiring process. This assessment will be sent to the e-mail address that you included in your application. Please note: Some e-mail accounts may receive the assessment e-mail in their junk/spam e-mail. This assessment must be completed within 5 days of receiving it. For more information regarding the assessment, please click HERE.
The Sterile Processing Technician will perform those duties necessary for the proper decontamination, cleaning, inspection, quality assurance monitoring, assembly, packaging, sterilization, storage, distribution and documentation of surgical instrumentation and equipment according to the established procedures of AAMI/ANSI, IAHCSMM CDC, OSHA, AORN, and AST. The Sterile Processing Technician performs these duties for Perioperative Services and various departments and entities throughout the Penn Medicine/Lancaster General Health.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Cleans, decontaminates, assembles and sterilizes all instrumentation and equipment, in accordance with departmental policy and procedure, Infection Control standards and other regulations. Responsible for operating all sterilization and decontamination equipment, in accordance with departmental policies and procedures safely and efficiently. Inspects, assembles and sterilizes all surgical instrumentation and instrumentation from other entities in accordance with departmental policy and procedure.
- Responsible for monitoring and reporting all biological indicators and other quality assurance verifications for patient safety.
- Restocks accurately case carts with supplies, instrumentation and equipment as indicated by pick list generated from daily surgical schedule. Restocks accurately with unexpired products, instrumentation, and equipment for Perioperative Services supply carts, specialty carts and emergency carts.
- Stages and delivers case carts, stocking carts, and equipment to correct Perioperative locations.
- Inventories and maintains adequate levels of all instrumentation, equipment, and sterile supplies utilized. Reports and records missing and/or damaged instrumentation/equipment, in accordance with set policy and procedure. Reports and records any malfunctioning Sterile Processing Department (SPD) decontamination/sterilization equipment.
- Serves as initial contact for all departmental inquiries from customers. Answers, records and responds to all requests via phone and/or in person in a courteous and professional manner.
- Maintains work areas in a clean, neat and orderly fashion on a daily basis. Cleans work area prior to end of shift in preparation for the oncoming shift.
- Participates in the cross training for new surgical instrumentation and equipment.
- Supports current or other SPD sites as requested by department supervisor or manager.
- Promotes effective and collaborative working relationships with members of the Perioperative team and other customers.
- Actively participates in department Lean/Performance Improvement/Quality initiatives and programs.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School diploma or GED equivalent required.
- Basic computer skills.
Posted on 07/24/2019
- Previous background in healthcare services (Procedural or Surgical Services experience).
- Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST), Surgical Technologist (ST) and/or Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) preferred.
- One (1) year Surgical instrument processing / reprocessing and medical inventory experience.
- One (1) year of Sterile Processing experience.
- One (1) year Patient Care equipment experience.