Sterile Processing Technician (Full-Time 2nd shift)
At Lancaster General Health, our culture is what sets us apart and creates a lasting impression of our health system in the community and in the hearts of our patients and their families. A role with us is more than just a job, we ask that you Live Your Legacy at LGH by finding your passion in your everyday role, committing to those you serve, and reaching for your personal best.
We are recognized as 1 of only 9 hospitals in the entire country with awards in Medicare.Gov, LEAPFROG and Healthgrades Americas 50 Best Hospitals. We have attained four-year Magnet ® recognition status for the fourth time with the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center (ANCC) and we are the 2018 recipient of the Foster G. McGaw Prize in recognition of the commitment to community service.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers a comprehensive benefits package:
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program so that our employees can stay actively engaged and committed to living their legacy every day. Together, we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Join us and be part of a team that empowers you to do more than your job and encourages you to:
Live Your Passion. Live Your Best. Live Your Commitment. Live Your Legacy.
Lancaster General Hospital
4545 Sterile Processing
Sterile Processing - 2nd Shift
Benefits of Joining Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health:
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH combines a Nationally Ranked Hospital with great schools, safe neighborhoods, affordable housing, local community events and festivals as well as a wealth of cultural and recreational activities. The scenic Susquehanna River Valley provides opportunities for fishing, skiing, kayaking, hiking and mountain biking in addition to easy access to NJ shoreline or Delaware beaches. Urban life is easily accessible, with New York, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. a train ride away. Local universities, Fulton Theatre, the downtown shopping and dining district and local sports teams make Lancaster a great place to Live, Work and Play.
The Sterile Processing Technician will perform those duties necessary for the proper decontamination, cleaning, inspection, quality assurance monitoring, assembly, packaging, sterilization, storage, distribution and documentation of surgical instrumentation and equipment according to the established procedures of AAMI/ANSI, IAHCSMM CDC, OSHA, AORN, and AST. The Sterile Processing Technician performs these duties for Perioperative Services and various departments and entities throughout the Penn Medicine/Lancaster General Health.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Cleans, decontaminates, assembles and sterilizes all instrumentation and equipment, in accordance with departmental policy and procedure, Infection Control standards and other regulations. Responsible for operating all sterilization and decontamination equipment, in accordance with departmental policies and procedures safely and efficiently. Inspects, assembles and sterilizes all surgical instrumentation and instrumentation from other entities in accordance with departmental policy and procedure.
- Responsible for monitoring and reporting all biological indicators and other quality assurance verifications for patient safety.
- Restocks accurately case carts with supplies, instrumentation and equipment as indicated by pick list generated from daily surgical schedule. Restocks accurately with unexpired products, instrumentation, and equipment for Perioperative Services supply carts, specialty carts and emergency carts.
- Stages and delivers case carts, stocking carts, and equipment to correct Perioperative locations.
- Inventories and maintains adequate levels of all instrumentation, equipment, and sterile supplies utilized. Reports and records missing and/or damaged instrumentation/equipment, in accordance with set policy and procedure. Reports and records any malfunctioning Sterile Processing Department (SPD) decontamination/sterilization equipment.
- Serves as initial contact for all departmental inquiries from customers. Answers, records and responds to all requests via phone and/or in person in a courteous and professional manner.
- Maintains work areas in a clean, neat and orderly fashion on a daily basis. Cleans work area prior to end of shift in preparation for the oncoming shift.
- Participates in the cross training for new surgical instrumentation and equipment.
- Supports current or other SPD sites as requested by department supervisor or manager.
- Promotes effective and collaborative working relationships with members of the Perioperative team and other customers.
- Actively participates in department Lean/Performance Improvement/Quality initiatives and programs.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Repairs / loaner / missing equipment / instrument identification. Takes responsibility, along with shift leader or coordinator, for ensuring that loaner sets are available and sterile as required.
- Reports instrument/equipment malfunction to SPD shift leader. Reports discrepancies, problems and concerns to management using proper chain of command.
- Demonstrates all computer applications accurately.
- Consistently follows Instrument Tracking system procedures for set/tray assembly.
- Consistently follows Operating Room (OR) Preference card system procedures for preference/pick ticket lists.
- Attends regularly scheduled in-services and continuing education offerings.
- Participates in the on-call responsibilities for this position as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School diploma or GED equivalent required.
- Basic computer skills.
- Previous background in healthcare services (Procedural or Surgical Services experience).
- Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST), Surgical Technologist (ST) and/or Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) preferred.
- One (1) year Surgical instrument processing / reprocessing and medical inventory experience.
- One (1) year of Sterile Processing experience.
- One (1) year Patient Care equipment experience.
ATTENTION/CONCENTRATION – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus on certain aspects of current experience and reject others:
The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
NEW LEARNING AND MEMORY – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to learn and retain material:
A large portion of this position required reliance on verbal memory and new learning. Efficiency in processing of verbal information, either in written or spoken form, is a major requirement and prerequisite of the job. The individual must be able to attend to and process multiple bits of information simultaneously. The individual must be able to organize and categorize this information effectively so that later recall is feasible.
PROBLEM SOLVING, REASONING AND CREATIVE THINKING – The following level of ability that is essential for the jobholder to think (in order to solve a problem) by combining two or more elements from past experience or imaginative thought:
The requirement for autonomous problem solving or creativity of thought in the position is minimal. Problems encountered tend to involve a few concrete variables in or from standardized situations. Typically involves adhering to a chart or set procedure.
APTITUDES The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Repetitive work: Ability to continuously perform the same type of work for extended periods of time, according to set procedures, sequence or pace.
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies, Autoclave, Sterrad, sonic cleaner, washer/decontaminator, index washer, cart washer, heat sealer, calculator, pen/pencil, ibox knife, hopper, sterilizer cart, elevator, cell phone, pager, PDA, handheld scanning devices, Air gun, stapler, scissors, files, screwdriver, wrench, dating gun, scrub brush.
Software: Microsoft Office Products, Hospital Information System, Instrument Management System, OR preference card system, Lawson.
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Rarely
- Stand: Continuously
- Walk: Continuously
- Bend: Continuously
- Push: Continuously
- Pull: Continuously
- Kneel/Squat: Frequently
- Reach: Frequently
- Twist: Frequently
- Balance: Rarely
- Climb: Occasionally
- Other (specific to this role): Manual and finger dexterity- Continuously
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is: Heavy, exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Position involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
- Bio hazardous Waste
- Blood borne Pathogens
- Extreme Noise Levels
- Extreme Temperatures
- High Pressure Steam/Gas
- Moving/Rotating Machinery
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.
Posted on 10/07/2020