Sterile Processing Technician(FT/Evenings)
40 hrs a wk, Mon-Fri, 3pm - 1130pm, Rotating Weekends, Holiday, On Call, On Job Training provided.
Job Title: Sterile Processing Technician (FT/Eve)
This position is located in Lancaster, PA
Full-time, 1.0, 80 hours per tow weeks working Monday through Friday 3:00pm-11:30pm with rotational weekends, holidays and on call. First 12 weeks on days training. Must obtain CRCST certification within 18 months of hire.
The Sterile Processing Technician will perform those duties necessary for the proper decontamination, cleaning, inspection, quality assurance monitoring, assembly, packaging, sterilization, storage, distribution and documentation of surgical instrumentation and equipment according to the established procedures of AAMI/ANSI, IAHCSMM CDC, OSHA, AORN, and AST. The Sterile Processing Technician performs these duties for Perioperative Services and various departments and entities throughout the Penn Medicine/Lancaster General Health.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Cleans, decontaminates, assembles and sterilizes all instrumentation and equipment, in accordance with departmental policy and procedure, Infection Control standards and other regulations. Responsible for operating all sterilization and decontamination equipment, in accordance with departmental policies and procedures safely and efficiently. Inspects, assembles and sterilizes all surgical instrumentation and instrumentation from other entities in accordance with departmental policy and procedure.
- Responsible for monitoring and reporting all biological indicators and other quality assurance verifications for patient safety.
- Restocks accurately case carts with supplies, instrumentation and equipment as indicated by pick list generated from daily surgical schedule. Restocks accurately with unexpired products, instrumentation, and equipment for Perioperative Services supply carts, specialty carts and emergency carts.
- Stages and delivers case carts, stocking carts, and equipment to correct Perioperative locations.
- Inventories and maintains adequate levels of all instrumentation, equipment, and sterile supplies utilized. Reports and records missing and/or damaged instrumentation/equipment, in accordance with set policy and procedure. Reports and records any malfunctioning Sterile Processing Department (SPD) decontamination/sterilization equipment.
- Serves as initial contact for all departmental inquiries from customers. Answers, records and responds to all requests via phone and/or in person in a courteous and professional manner.
- Maintains work areas in a clean, neat and orderly fashion on a daily basis. Cleans work area prior to end of shift in preparation for the oncoming shift.
- Participates in the cross training for new surgical instrumentation and equipment.
- Supports current or other SPD sites as requested by department supervisor or manager.
- Promotes effective and collaborative working relationships with members of the Perioperative team and other customers.
- Actively participates in department Lean/Performance Improvement/Quality initiatives and programs.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School diploma or GED equivalent required.
- Basic computer skills.
- If hired after 12/28/2020, within 18 months of hire must hold a certification from one of the following accredited bodies: Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST) or Certified Board Sterile Processing & Distribution Tech (CSPDT).
- Previous background in healthcare services (Procedural or Surgical Services experience).
- Surgical Technologist (ST) and/or Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) preferred.
- One (1) year Surgical instrument processing / reprocessing and medical inventory experience.
- One (1) year of Sterile Processing experience.
- One (1) year Patient Care equipment experience.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 11/03/2023
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.