Sterile Processing Resource Team Leader; (Full Time, Second Shift)
POSITION SUMMARY: Provides operational support to LGH. Operational support includes instrument processing and terminal sterilization, inventory control and case preparation functions for perioperative services. Operational support also includes instrument processing, terminal sterilization and inventory control for the nursing units and other hospital departments, as well as, all other entities with in LG Health as required. Acts as Liaison between Operating Room and Sterile Processing concerning all matters dealing with assigned service responsibility. Supervises SPD technicians’ work in all matters regarding specialty service line.
Job Description: M-F 3:00PM-11:30PM
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of specialty service instruments and supplies
- Assists staff in gaining thorough knowledge of specialty service instrumentation and supplies.
- Assists in prioritizing operating room customer needs.
- Assists in recognizing problems and develops solutions to prevent recurrence.
- Anticipates required resource materials for specialty service procedures
- Plans effectively for unanticipated add-on cases.
- Documents and communicates supplies and instruments required.
- Notifies customers when “stock outs” occur.
- Communicates and collaborates with peers, staff, customers and manager
- Communicates and documents all changes e.g. new, current, deleted, and loaner instrumentation and supplies.
- Responds to customers accurately and professionally.
- Documents clearly and legibly.
- Always demonstrates a timely response to customers, personnel, peers and managers.
- Demonstrates technical skills required to maintain daily operations
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of all sterilization modalities.
- Identifies the objectives of steam and sterrad sterilization as required for orthopedic instrumentation.
- Identify types of monitoring required and documentation for different types of instruments i.e. implants.
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the appropriate sterilization modality for all types of supplies and equipment.
- Identifies items that need to be reprocessed and follows through on completion of repack.
- Demonstrates proper management of loaner instruments.
- Identifies proper names of all orthopedic trays.
- Recognizes and replaces missing instruments, communicates replacement needs to Shift Leader and OR Surgical Specialty Coordinator as needed.
- If missing instruments are not able to be replaced documents appropriately.
- Assures instruments are properly cleaned and functioning prior to tray assembly.
- Reads and understands the OR schedule pertaining to all procedures in the OR.
- Demonstrates knowledge of what instruments belong to what procedure.
- Identifies Orthopedic instruments and supplies required based on the review of 1st case Preference cards.
- Oversees orientation of new employees regarding orthopedic instrumentation training.
- Problem solves issues with skill and confidence
- Answers phone calls and appropriately handles requests.
- Responds to OR’s request for SPD presence in the OR.
- Objectively analyzes problems, establishes accountability, and reports actions to supervision.
- Demonstrates the ability to be self-directed and use independent judgement.
- Demonstrates knowledge of SPD PI program by actively participating in PI program as requested by department PI liaison
·Works closely with Inventory staff regarding surgical specialty supplies
- Actively participates with additions and deletions of disposable supplies.
- Communicates to SPD staff any changes made regarding supplies.
- Works closely with department Educator
- Participates as Ad-Hoc member of the SPD Education committee.
- Assists in training staff regarding current, new, loaner orthopedic instrumentation.
- Assists with developing and implementing continual educational programs regarding orthopedic instrumentation, supplies, and procedures.
- Attends formal education program regarding specialty service provided by SPD Educator in collaboration with Surgical Educators.
- Performs all duties of the SPD Technicians
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- CRCST (Certified Registered Central Service Technician) – within 12 months of hire
- Previous work experience as a Sterile Processing Technician
- Preceptor – previously attended formal training or will complete within 3 months of hire
- Excellent communication skills
- Basic computer skills
- Medical terminology knowledge
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills
- Basic anatomy knowledge
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 07/27/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.