Sterile Processing Resource Team Leader- Main Hospital (40 hours.week- Night Shift)
At Lancaster General Health, our culture is what sets us apart and creates a lasting impression of our health system in the community and in the hearts of our patients and their families. A role with us is more than just a job, we ask that you Live Your Legacy at LGH by finding your passion in your everyday role, committing to those you serve, and reaching for your personal best.
We are recognized as 1 of only 9 hospitals in the entire country with awards in Medicare.Gov, LEAPFROG and Healthgrades Americas 50 Best Hospitals. We have attained five year Magnet ® recognition status for the fifth time with the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center (ANCC) and we are the 2018 recipient of the Foster G. McGaw Prize in recognition of the commitment to community service.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers a comprehensive benefits package:
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program so that our employees can stay actively engaged and committed to living their legacy every day. Together, we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Join us and be part of a team that empowers you to do more than your job and encourages you to:
Live Your Passion. Live Your Best. Live Your Commitment. Live Your Legacy.
40 Hrs Weekly, Sun-Thurs 3rd shift 11pm-730am, No weekends or Holidays. Certification required within 12 months for Resource Team Lead roles.
HOURS: 40 Hrs Weekly, Sun-Thurs 3rd shift 11pm-730am, No weekends or Holidays. Certification required within 12 months for Resource Team Lead roles.
POSITION SUMMARY: Provides operational support to LGH. Operational support includes instrument processing and terminal sterilization, inventory control and case preparation functions for perioperative services. Operational support also includes instrument processing, terminal sterilization and inventory control for the nursing units and other hospital departments, as well as, all other entities with in LG Health as required. Acts as Liaison between Operating Room and Sterile Processing concerning all matters dealing with assigned service responsibility. Supervises SPD technicians’ work in all matters regarding specialty service line.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of specialty service instruments and supplies
- Assists staff in gaining thorough knowledge of specialty service instrumentation and supplies.
- Assists in prioritizing operating room customer needs.
- Assists in recognizing problems and develops solutions to prevent recurrence.
- Anticipates required resource materials for specialty service procedures
- Plans effectively for unanticipated add-on cases.
- Documents and communicates supplies and instruments required.
- Notifies customers when “stock outs” occur.
- Communicates and collaborates with peers, staff, customers and manager
- Communicates and documents all changes e.g. new, current, deleted, and loaner instrumentation and supplies.
- Responds to customers accurately and professionally.
- Documents clearly and legibly.
- Always demonstrates a timely response to customers, personnel, peers and managers.
- Demonstrates technical skills required to maintain daily operations
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of all sterilization modalities.
- Identifies the objectives of steam and sterrad sterilization as required for orthopedic instrumentation.
- Identify types of monitoring required and documentation for different types of instruments i.e. implants.
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the appropriate sterilization modality for all types of supplies and equipment.
- Identifies items that need to be reprocessed and follows through on completion of repack.
- Demonstrates proper management of loaner instruments.
- Identifies proper names of all orthopedic trays.
- Recognizes and replaces missing instruments, communicates replacement needs to Shift Leader and OR Surgical Specialty Coordinator as needed.
- If missing instruments are not able to be replaced documents appropriately.
- Assures instruments are properly cleaned and functioning prior to tray assembly.
- Reads and understands the OR schedule pertaining to all procedures in the OR.
- Demonstrates knowledge of what instruments belong to what procedure.
- Identifies Orthopedic instruments and supplies required based on the review of 1st case Preference cards.
- Oversees orientation of new employees regarding orthopedic instrumentation training.
- Problem solves issues with skill and confidence
- Answers phone calls and appropriately handles requests.
- Responds to OR’s request for SPD presence in the OR.
- Objectively analyzes problems, establishes accountability, and reports actions to supervision.
- Demonstrates the ability to be self-directed and use independent judgement.
- Demonstrates knowledge of SPD PI program by actively participating in PI program as requested by department PI liaison
·Works closely with Inventory staff regarding surgical specialty supplies
- Actively participates with additions and deletions of disposable supplies.
- Communicates to SPD staff any changes made regarding supplies.
- Works closely with department Educator
- Participates as Ad-Hoc member of the SPD Education committee.
- Assists in training staff regarding current, new, loaner orthopedic instrumentation.
- Assists with developing and implementing continual educational programs regarding orthopedic instrumentation, supplies, and procedures.
- Attends formal education program regarding specialty service provided by SPD Educator in collaboration with Surgical Educators.
- Performs all duties of the SPD Technicians
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Report discrepancies, problems and concerns to management using proper chain of command.
- Repair / loaner / missing equipment / instrument identification.
- Reports instrument/equipment malfunction to SPD shift leader/ OR coordinator.
- Places repair items in appropriate receptacle as required.
- Takes responsibility, along with shift leader or coordinator, for ensuring that loaner sets are available and sterile as required.
- Initiates communication with SPD and OR regarding missing and/or damaged items.
- Demonstrates all computer applications accurately.
- Consistently follows instrument tracking system procedures for set/tray assembly.
- Consistently follows surgical scheduling system procedures for preference/pick ticket lists.
- Participates in the on-call responsibilities for this position as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- CRCST (Certified Registered Central Service Technician) – within 12 months of hire
- Previous work experience as a Sterile Processing Technician
- Preceptor – previously attended formal training or will complete within 3 months of hire
- Excellent communication skills
- Basic computer skills
- Medical terminology knowledge
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills
- Basic anatomy knowledge
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely. This position is located in Lancaster, PA. #LI-MD1
Benefits of Joining Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health:
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH combines a Nationally Ranked Hospital with great schools, safe neighborhoods, affordable housing, local community events and festivals as well as a wealth of cultural and recreational activities. The scenic Susquehanna River Valley provides opportunities for fishing, skiing, kayaking, hiking and mountain biking in addition to easy access to NJ shoreline or Delaware beaches. Urban life is easily accessible, with New York, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. a train ride away. Local universities, Fulton Theatre, the downtown shopping and dining district and local sports teams make Lancaster a great place to Live, Work and Play.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.
Posted on 09/15/2021