Senior Improvement Advisor (Full Time/ Day shift)
POSITION SUMMARY: The Senior Improvement Advisor leads improvement efforts through collaboration with operational and executive leadership to support a culture of high reliability, quality, and safety through planning, implementing and evaluation, as well as being able to adjust to the changing environment that requires professional aptitude for driving improvement across all levels of the organization and service lines.
The Senior Improvement Advisor provides leaders and departments with the most current PI methods and tools, including project management support. This work includes, though is not limited to, facilitation of PI projects and time limited improvement events; management and surveillance of data for PI opportunities; messaging trends in the data to leadership, departments and staff; education of front line staff in the latest PI methods; facilitating complex problem solving through A3 methodology and responding to serious safety events. The Senior Improvement Advisor applies process improvement, engineering, change management and value driven principles to optimize clinical practice and improve quality, safety, and the patient experience.
LOCATION: Lancaster, PA
HOURS: Full Time (1.0 FTE; 40hrs/wk) Day Shift
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Responsible for direct supervision of Performance Improvement Coaches. Provide direction, guidance, and leadership of Performance Improvement Coaches for effective teamwork, motivation, and fosters the effective integration of efforts with system-wide initiatives. Develops and maintains established departmental policies, procedures, and objectives. Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
- Serve as advisor to all levels of the help chain required to provide consistent, highly reliable processes, including leader adherence monitoring to standard work implementation. Develop sustainability models effective across service lines, creating visual management tools to augment leader’s compliance efforts.
- Assess, monitor and evaluate effectiveness of continuous improvement educational offerings for both staff and operational leadership, including development of additional material in response to changing needs of tenured and new leaders. Collaborate with organizational development staff to identify areas of leadership behaviors needed to be successful as a lean leader to engage staff to drive improvement and problem solving.
- Provide guidance and facilitation during strategic deployment process. Develop sustainable efforts for leader standard work to implement targeted gemba time for evaluation and monitoring of efforts to elevate barriers to achieving both organizational and departmental goals. Facilitate system level A3s designed to address highest level goals and objectives – provide direction for next level A3s for both PI coaching team and organizational leadership.
- Advise and mentor entry level Performance Improvement Coaches through hands on leadership to learn effective coaching and facilitation skills as well as guide during local improvement projects.
- Provide oversight and project management tools for leaders who identify and elevate complex, cross departmental problems beyond their local control, including but not limited to complex value stream mapping, rapid improvement event facilitation, and A3 team sponsorship to close performance gaps.
- Assist operational leaders in assessing and maintaining continuous survey readiness as well as maintaining a close connection with patient and employee safety teams when compliance is unsatisfactory to identify and resolve root cause.
- Provide educational opportunities for internal team members on current advances in all performance improvement methodologies, as well as assuring said advances are incorporated into other educational offerings as determined to be valuable.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Provide executive leadership an enterprise wide assessment of the current state of Lean Management and facilitate in the development of strategic goals to advance the culture of continuous improvements.
- Provide support and leadership for research projects through appropriate utilization of research strategies in the promotion of clinical knowledge development and research-based clinical practice.
- Collaborate with Penn Academy or other University of Pennsylvania Health System improvement efforts to identify and resolve common opportunities.
- Provide support for facility design utilizing flow and pull principles to augment throughput- may utilize design for six sigma methodology and tools.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- American Society of Quality (ASQ) Six Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB)
- Bachelor’s degree
- A Master’s degree completed within two years of hire date.
- Experience with statistical process control (SPC) and data analysis using Microsoft Excel
- Experience with leading and coaching A3s to improve key performance indicators
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in planning, implementation and evaluation of an improvement program is required, preferably in a healthcare or industrial field utilizing the Toyota Production System methodology, and project management skills.
- Experience with patient safety related issues and identification of root cause analysis.
- Knowledge and experience in quality improvement models, particularly Lean, Six Sigma, Toyota Production System (TPS), or IHI Model for Improvement – either within the healthcare or manufacturing setting.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience developing and implementing appropriate didactic classroom offerings for large groups of adult learners and the ability to relate to leaders and staff of various ages, skills, and educational background.
- Experience with implementation of a Lean Management system within an operational healthcare facility.
- Statistical data analysis capability including database development and maintenance.
- Ability to author research and/white papers – excellence in both verbal and written presentation.
- American Society of Quality (ASQ) Certified Manager of Quality / Organizational Excellence (CMQ/OE)
- Experience developing Performance Improvement coaches
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 10/13/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.