Lancaster General Hospital
3085 Risk Management
Risk Management Support
This position is located in Lancaster, Pa
Full Time: 1.0 FTE Monday through Friday 8:30am - 5:00pm
POSITION SUMMARY: To reduce loss and enhance patient safety by providing support and service to Lancaster General Health controlled entities (Enterprise). This is accomplished by assisting in the prevention, reduction, and control of loss related to the Enterprise, its patients, visitors, volunteers, employed physicians, and all other employees. This position will work collaboratively with all departments throughout the Enterprise.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Collaborate with key stakeholders (e.g. Patient Safety Officer) in developing and coordinating processes for risk identification, risk investigation, and risk reduction; to include risk surveys, inspection of patient care areas, and chart auditing; assists in reviewing the Enterprise to assess for loss potential.
- Facilitates timely response and investigation of adverse and serious events. Assists in developing corrective actions and assists Patient Safety Director and/or Patient Safety Officer in preparing for a root cause analysis, as indicated.
- Investigates and follows up on potentially compensable events identified through the event reporting process.
- Maintains statistical trending of losses and other risk management data for review. Shares risk management reports with appropriate management and senior leaders. Confers with department directors/managers on the risk reports and advises and recommends actions for process improvement.
- Acts as a resource for routine risk related inquiries of physicians, nurses, and administrators regarding emergent or non-emergent patient care issues and loss control.
- Establishes methods to avoid, reduce, or minimize risks including reviews of risk management data and intradepartmental policies and procedures with department and/or unit leaders.
- Conducts risk management educational programs to both staff and physicians at all levels. Assists clinical and department management in designing and conducting risk management programs and education within their departments.
- Participates on committees directed towards promoting patient and visitor safety and reducing risk.
- Ensures maximum confidentiality as it relates to event reports and claims.
- Drafts, proof reads and edits correspondence/reports of a risk related nature.
- Reviews, analyzes, and processes event reports. This includes: (1) determining the category and severity of the event (2) monitoring the follow-up on events requiring a corrective action plan (3) assuring compliance with the Pennsylvania event reporting requirements set forth under MCARE regulations.
- Report serious/sentinel events to the appropriate parties and committees.
- Investigates and analyzes actual and potential risks within the Enterprise; assess liability and probability of legal action for potential notification of defense counsel and insurance carriers.
- Maintains current knowledge base in risk management via journal readings, risk management society participation and seminars.
- Performs other duties as assigned or as necessity dictates.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Nursing Degree or Bachelor’s Degree in a health care field.
- At least two (2) to four (4) years of direct hospital patient care experience or equivalent experience in healthcare risk management.
- Experience performing medical record reviews.
Posted on 07/28/2020
- Experience with the Epic electronic health record is desirable.
- Certification in Healthcare Risk Management (CPHRM).
- Strong written and oral communication skills, strong presentation skills, attention to detail, strong organizational skills, expertise in statistical/data analysis, a team player, the ability to influence change without direct authority, strong negotiation skills. Possess a confident but not overbearing demeanor.
- A high level of interpersonal and professional skills and communication ability are needed to effectively interact with and influence others and often in sensitive situations.