Lancaster General Hospital
3510 Research Institute Operations
Research Institute Operations
POSITION SUMMARY: Under the general direction of Principal Investigator supports planning and conduct of a research project. Establishes and maintains communication while serving as liaison for project. Adheres to regulatory requirements and follows study protocol. Collects and records data and prepares reports and summaries as needed.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Assists with literature searches and summarization of information for grant proposals, IRB protocols, and/or business plans for specific research projects.
- Assists in the screening for potential research subjects based upon inclusion/exclusion criteria using electronic and manual mechanisms per IRB approved screening processes.
- Supports the informed consent process. Discusses the protocol, including risks, benefits, follow-up requirements, and alternatives with potential participants to obtain informed consent for study enrollment.
- Supports process of enrolling participants in study and records in EHR as appropriate. Manages and maintains enrollment records.
- Collects and manages data under the supervision of the research projects’ primary investigator. This may include data from the electronic medical record system, or from face to face or telephone contact with subjects.
- Maintains research datasets using Excel spreadsheets or systems such as RedCap.
- Prepares reports incorporating complex tables, graphs, and research results.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Attends and participates in meetings associated with studies/projects.
- Assists with writing and review of manuscripts for publication.
- Prepares and delivers presentations.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School Diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Minimum of 60 credit hours of college education in a science related field.
- Knowledge of Regulatory Guidelines, Good Clinical Practices (GCPs), and the principles of research ethics.
- Experience using computer for information searches, word-processing, and data management (Excel).
- Bachelor’s degree in science related field.
- The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
New Learning and Memory:
- The position requires that an individual be able to learn new tasks quickly and effectively. Job requirements change frequently. The ability to understand and carry out detailed, involved instructions in mandatory.
Problem Solving, Reasoning and Creative Thinking:
- The position required much autonomy of thought and problem solving. The individual must be able to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to define problems. The individual must be able to think abstractly, which is manifested in the ability to form concepts, use categories, generalize from single instances, apply procedural rules and general principles, and be aware of subtle or intrinsic aspects of a problem. The development of hypothesis and potential solutions to problems involves careful interpretation, analysis and diagnosis. The individual must be able to collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. The individual must be able to think creatively with a degree of inventiveness, experimentation and intuition. They must be able to deal with a variety of concrete and abstract variables.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies
Software: Microsoft Office Products
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Frequently
- Stand: Frequently
- Walk: Frequently
- Bend: Rarely
- Push: Rarely
- Pull: Rarely
- Kneel/Squat: Rarely
- Balance: Rarely
- Climb: Rarely
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is:
Light, exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Position involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
Posted on 11/05/2019