Registered Respiratory Therapist-5
This clinical team position is for a 0.1 FTE. 8 hours per pay period between the hours of 2200 - 0600 with every 4th weekend. One summer and One winter holiday required.
Administers respiratory care services in accordance with department policies and procedures, providing input to the clinical evaluation and technical aspects of administered care. Patient care includes care to patients in the following age groups: neonatal (birth to 30 days), pediatric (30 days through 12 years), adolescent (13 through 18 years), adult (19 through 64 years), and geriatric (65 years and above).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Administers physician-prescribed treatment/testing to patients in all clinical areas according to physician order and/or department policy and procedure. Administered services include, but are not limited to, therapeutic gases, aerosol and humidity therapy, positive pressure breathing treatment (IPPB/CPAP), deep breathing exercises, airway care, including tracheobronchial aspiration and other procedures, and postural drainage and percussion/vibration to aid in secretion removal.
- Performs physician-ordered arterial blood sample collection and performs subsequent analysis on an arterial blood gas analyzer for oxygen, carbon dioxide, pH, and oxygen saturation levels.
- Establishes, monitors, and adjusts ventilator management of the critically ill patient requiring mechanical ventilation, under the direction of a physician and/or established physician protocol.
- Provide complete and accurate documentation according to department policies for performed services.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Confers with physicians, Manager, Clinical Services, and shift supervisor in regard to patient respiratory care plans, providing information pertaining to effectiveness of therapy and recommendation for changes in therapy.
- Can receive, perform and document oral orders from physicians pertaining to respiratory care.
- Provides technical assistance and guidance to respiratory technicians and respiratory care assistants.
- Confers directly with patients in their provision of therapy and patient assessment providing the patient with explanations and information as required.
- Provides the administration of topic anesthesia to patients have bronchoscopies performed. Assists physician with study as required.
- Performs other related duties as required, including cardiopulmonary resuscitation, acting as charge therapist when required, supervising and providing clinical instruction to respiratory therapy students, and assisting in the orientation of new employees.
- Participates in the on-call responsibilities for this position as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- CPR certification.
- Certification as a Respiratory Care Practitioner (or hold a temporary permit) by the PA State Board of Medicine.
- Graduate AMA approved Respiratory Therapy Program. Individual must be registered or registry eligible.
- One (1) year of neonatal intensive care experience.
- One (1) year of arterial gas punctures.
- One (1) year of ventilator management.
- Registry through NBRC - one (1) year.
ATTENTION/CONCENTRATION – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus on certain aspects of current experience and reject others:
The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
NEW LEARNING AND MEMORY – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to learn and retain material:
The position requires that an individual be able to learn new tasks quickly and effectively. Job requirements change frequently. The ability to understand and carry out detailed, involved instructions in mandatory.
PROBLEM SOLVING, REASONING AND CREATIVE THINKING – The following level of ability that is essential for the jobholder to think (in order to solve a problem) by combining two or more elements from past experience or imaginative thought:
The position deals with issues or problems that often require thoughtful reasoning before arriving at approaches or solutions. Some independent thought, planning or origination of options and solutions is necessary. The individual must have the ability to apply principles of reasoning and problem solving to resolve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Repetitive work: Ability to continuously perform the same type of work for extended periods of time, according to set procedures, sequence or pace.
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: ventilator, compressor, ABG machine, IPPB machine, Pox machines, SPAG, USN, co-ox machine, No/K machine, telephone, pager, ambubag, flow meter, Wright resp., oxygen tanks, stethoscope, syringe, uracil nebulizer, oxygen masks, suction catheters, Voldynes, Jones PFT, peak flow meter, percussors, trache, screwdriver.
Software: Microsoft Office Product, clinical information system, e-mail.
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Rarely
- Stand: Continuously
- Walk: Continuously
- Bend: Occasionally
- Push: Occasionally
- Pull: Occasionally
- Kneel/Squat: Occasionally
- Reach: Occasionally
- Twist: Rarely
- Balance: Rarely
- Climb: Rarely
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is: Moderate, exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Position involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
- Bio hazardous Waste
- Blood borne Pathogens
- Extreme Noise Levels
- High Pressure Steam/Gas
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 06/02/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.