SUMMARY: Lancaster General Health/Penn Medicine is currently seeking a Registered Nurse for Observation Unit. The RN assumes responsibility and accountability as defined by the American Nurses Association standards of nursing practice.
The Observation unit is an extension of the Emergency department and is an outpatient unit. Patients on the Observation Unit experience an average length of stay of 19.8 hours. The Observation Unit cares for adult patients with common diagnosis groups of chest pain, shortness of breath, TIA, vertigo, backache, syncope, A-fib, headache, abdominal pain, weakness, non-critical trauma patients etc. Nurses also care for post-operative surgical patients who remain for an average of 23 hours post op.
- Incorporates the LGHealth/Penn Medicine mission, vision and values into planning patient care.
- Functions as an independent and interdependent member of the health care team as defined in unit based Plan for Provision of Care.
- Performs patient assessments, focusing on physiologic, psychological, and cognitive functions. Evaluates progress toward attainment of outcomes and adapts the plan of care based on recognized trends and changes. Collects and manages comprehensive data pertinent to the patient’s health or the situation.
- Analyzes the assessment data to determine the diagnosis or issues. Formulates age-appropriate and culturally and ethically sensitive plan of care
- Implements care in a knowledgeable manner and coordinates patient care across several disciplines and among caregivers.
- Provides leadership to other members of the team by effectively communicating expected standards of care and encouraging and supporting team members and their contributions.
- Educates patients about healthy practices and treatment modalities.
- RN licensure is required, issued by the PA Board of Nursing.
- CPR Certification required.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) preferred. If this is a Magnet designated RN position, BSN will be required within 3 yrs of RN hire date.
This position requires a Professional License/Certification.
This position requires PA Child Abuse and FBI Fingerprinting Clearances.