Registered Nurse (RN) 5F General Surg and Bariatric (Full Time / Day Shift)
LOCATION: Lancaster, PA
HOURS: Full Time, 36 hours a week or 0.9 FTE. Night shift position, every 3rd weekend, holiday rotation
SIGN ON BONUS: Up to $15,000.00 (Eligibility Rules apply and hours hired)
POSITION SUMMARY: Assume responsibility and accountability as defined by the American Nurses Association standards of nursing practice. The Clinical Nurse 1 New to Practice/Apprentice is a newly licensed new to practice RN or RN with less than 15 months of experience that demonstrates basic safe practice within the organizational professional practice model. The Clinical Nurse 1 New to Practice/Apprentice seeks guidance to integrate concepts, knowledge, skills and attitudes to meet standards for competent professional nursing practice. The Clinical Nurse 1 New to Practice/Apprentice exhibits Penn Medicine’s experience standards which reflect its mission and are embedded in the professional practice competency domains.
The Clinical Nurse 1 New to Practice/Apprentice is accountable for the provision of direct care to patients who may range in age from infancy to the elderly and demonstrates within the competency domains of Continuous Quality Improvement, Evidence Based Practice and Research, Leadership, Person and Family Centered Care, Professionalism, Safety, Teamwork and Technology/Informatics.
The Clinical Nurse 1 New to Practice/Apprentice works closely with the interprofessional health care team to facilitate the coordination of care across the continuum. The nurse focuses on developing the knowledge and skills necessary to provide individualized care based on physical, psychosocial, cultural, educational, safety, and age-appropriate considerations of assigned patients.
The Clinical Nurse 1 New to Practice/Apprentice requires consultation with more experienced clinicians and benefits from feedback while demonstrating growth in the ability to care for increasingly complex patients. The nurse demonstrates how nursing practice impacts the organizational vision, mission, and goals and the care delivery system. The nurse complies with all regulations and standards of regulatory and accrediting bodies.
The Clinical Nurse 1 New to Practice/Apprentice must complete all Clinical Nurse 1 competencies and is expected to advance to the Clinical Nurse 2 Colleague level by 18 months of professional practice.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Incorporates the Lancaster General Health mission, vision and values into planning patient care.
- Functions as an independent and interdependent member of the health care team as defined in unit based Plan for Provision of
- Performs patient assessments, focusing on physiologic, psychological, and cognitive functions. Evaluates progress toward
attainment of outcomes and adapts the plan of care based on recognized trends and changes. Collects and manages
comprehensive data pertinent to the patient’s health or the situation.
- Analyzes the assessment data to determine the diagnosis or issues. Formulates age-appropriate and culturally and ethically
sensitive plan of care
- Implements care in a knowledgeable manner and coordinates patient care across several disciplines and among caregivers.
- Provides leadership to other members of the team by effectively communicating expected standards of care and encouraging
and supporting team members and their contributions.
- Demonstrates an understanding of and a commitment to our values of privacy, quality, respect, service and teamwork.
- Assigns, delegates, and supervises other employees and intervenes as appropriate to assure that the plan of care is carried
out, continuity of care is provided and that established outcomes are achieved through availability and appropriated utilization
of human, material and financial resources.
- Educates patients about healthy practices and treatment modalities.
- Systematically enhances the quality and effectiveness of nursing practices. Utilizes technology where appropriate.
- Considers factors related to safety, effectiveness, cost and impact on practice in the planning and delivery of nursing services.
- Manages rapidly changing situations following established protocols, coordinating and accessing appropriate health team
members and resources, and documenting events.
- Participates in process improvement activities with an emphasis on increasing continuity in the nurse to patient relationship,
minimizing rework and redundancies; constantly seeks ways to improve processes, increase efficiency, finds solutions to
current situations or develops new methods and procedures.
- Completes mandatory education and training that includes review of age-specific needs, caring behaviors, and interpersonal
skills as defined by unit based Plan for Provision of Care.
- Maintains a safe working environment through compliance with established evidence-based practice policies and procedures
and timely reporting of safety variances.
- Projects pride in their work as exhibited in day-to-day interactions with staff, coworkers, patients and all those they come in
- Seeks experiences and formal and independent learning activities to maintain and develop clinical and professional skills and
- Provides supervision, including guidance, counseling and mentoring, to targeted peers and subordinates to enhance the
learning experiences and improve the professional practice environment within the designated work setting.
- Participates in the employee performance process related to peers and subordinate team members; address employee
problems, complaints, disputes or requests as the first level of supervision; evaluates their performance post hire.
- Participates in the on-call responsibilities for this position as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- RN Licensure is required, issued by the PA Board of Nursing or a Temporary Practice Permit until an RN license is obtained.
- Individuals with Temporary Practice Permits must sit for their NCLEX within 60 days of starting in their RN role.
- A graduate registered nurse may only practice professional nursing under supervision and if the graduate registered nurse
holds a current temporary practice permit. Supervision means that a licensed registered nurse is physically present in the area
or unit where the graduate registered nurse is practicing.
- All Clinical Nurse 1 RN’s will be required to successfully complete the Nurse Residency Program.
- CPR Certification - American Heart Association (AHA) Basic Life Support, formerly Healthcare Provider (AHA Heart Saver
AMA CPR/BLS certification required within 30 days of hire.
- A health care provider in good standing with Medicare, Medicaid, and other federal and state health insurance programs, i.e.
not excluded from participation in Medicare, Medicaid or any other federal or state health insurance program.
- As outline in unit based Plan for Provision of Care.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) preferred. For Magnet designated RN positions, BSN or higher level nursing degree is
required for incumbents based upon previously established parameters; or within two (2) years of placement in position for
incumbents who started after 07/01/2020.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 01/24/2023
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.