RN Certified Diabetic Educator (Full-Time/Day Shift)
The RN Certified Diabetic Educator serves as a member of the Diabetes Education Team providing individual, group, and follow-up instruction in health care aspects of diabetes management. This practice is a very busy office and offer pump training/CGM training to our patients with support by the CDE. Patient care includes care to patients in the following age groups: pediatric (30 days through 12 years), adolescent (13 through 18 years), adult (19 through 64 years) and geriatric (65 years and above).
LOCATION: Lancaster, PA
HOURS: Full-time 1.0 FTE (40hrs/week); Mon. - Frid.; day shift with flexible hours to work with business needs; no holidays.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Provides individual, group, and follow-up counseling in diabetes management principles.
- Participates in the planning, implementation, evaluation, and documentation of the out-patient diabetes education program assuring that all aspects of patient's health care needs are met.
- Participates in the planning, implementation and evaluation of an in-patient diabetes education program which includes assistance with staff nurse diabetes continuing education and serves as resource person regarding diabetes nursing care of patients.
- Participates in continuing education activities, maintaining membership in professional affiliations, and completing a minimum of six contact hours in diabetes and educational principles.
- Actively serves as a member on the Diabetes Advisory Committee of Lancaster General Hospital. Maintains effective communications with physicians and health care agencies.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Participates in the orientation and development of personnel assigned to providing diabetes education.
- Performs daily and/or routine maintenance and calibrates the test equipment as necessary. Recognizes and troubleshoots basic instrument malfunctions and resolves with proper action taken.
- Sets-up, performs and evaluates programmed quality control materials according to established control limits.
- Runs standards and patient samples through automated or manual protocols and monitors manual functions of test systems and instruments to assume reliable accuracy and precession. Maintains link of test results to patients.
- Evaluates instrument results. Enters results and pertinent information necessary for valid physician interpretation.
- Performs scheduled and unscheduled maintenance necessary to keep all equipment in good working order.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Current licensure as a Registered Nurse, issued by the PA State Board of Nursing.
- Certification as Diabetes Educator by the National Certification Board for Diabetes Educators or certification obtained within 1 year of completing the education requirements for certification.
- Diabetes education counseling experience.
- One year clinical nursing experience.
- Two years’ experience in Diabetes education counseling.
- Strong writing and interpersonal skills.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 11/18/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.