At Lancaster General Health, our culture is what sets us apart and creates a lasting impression of our health system in the community and in the hearts of our patients and their families. A role with us is more than just a job, we ask that you Live Your Legacy at LGH by finding your passion in your everyday role, committing to those you serve, and reaching for your personal best.
We are recognized as 1 of only 9 hospitals in the entire country with awards in Medicare.Gov, LEAPFROG and Healthgrades Americas 50 Best Hospitals. We have attained five year Magnet ® recognition status for the fifth time with the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center (ANCC) and we are the 2018 recipient of the Foster G. McGaw Prize in recognition of the commitment to community service.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers a comprehensive benefits package:
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program so that our employees can stay actively engaged and committed to living their legacy every day. Together, we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Join us and be part of a team that empowers you to do more than your job and encourages you to:
Live Your Passion. Live Your Best. Live Your Commitment. Live Your Legacy.
HOURS: Full Time - Weekdays; business hours 0800-1700. No on call, holiday or weekend hours required.
The Quality Specialist leads improvement efforts in quality, patient safety, infection control, and regulatory/accreditation across Lancaster General Health through collaboration with the medical staff, operational leaders, and executive leadership. This role supports a culture of high reliability to achieve safe, reliable, and effective care. The Senior Quality Specialist provides leaders the necessary tools and support to better understand the problem that they are trying to solve, identify the most appropriate improvement tools to utilize, and implement experiments to solve the problem and drive improvements in the outcomes
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Maintains a strong working knowledge of current regulations and quality standards for all state, Federal and Joint Commission patient safety and quality requirements both in the acute care hospital system and ambulatory settings. Effectively communicates any changes in interpretation to appropriate organizational leadership as directed by Accreditation and Regulatory standards team, and provides coaching to develop action plans as needed to assess, monitor and comply with current changes.
- Assists in collecting data, creating reports, interpreting and analyzing data in order to support leaders in identifying both gaps in performance and regulatory compliance, opportunities for improvement and sustainability of action plans. Collaborates with Performance Optimization to support quality improvement initiatives through process standardization and use of the scientific method, including consistent application of A3 methodology/thinking. Connect applicable measures and metrics to departmental daily improvement boards.
- Serves as an embedded local resource for designated or developing UPHS Quality, Safety and Regulatory programs and initiatives and maintains a working knowledge of health system networking capabilities to ensure alignment across all Penn Medicine and partner facilities.
- Collaborates with the medical, clinical and operational leaders at all levels (executive, director and front line) to foster a culture of engagement, collaboration and shared accountability to ensure a state of perpetual readiness. Facilitates activities to support alignment of quality efforts in connection to the organizational strategic plan. Combines knowledge of accurate assessment techniques utilizing direct problem observation, documentation in the medical record, staff interview, and guided onsite process observations (readiness rounds) to facilitate teams toward fixing reoccurring issues and eliminating patient/employee safety concerns through the use of concurrent problem solving.
- Collaborates with all supporting functions including, but not limited to Performance optimization, Environmental Safety, and Information Services to promote design and compliance to processes needed to support a highly reliable organization, which often requires crossing departmental and organizational boundaries, including primary, specialty care practices aligned within the organization’s population health efforts.
- Active participation within various committees or taskforces launched for quality improvement initiatives, ensuring integration of current, evidence based knowledge, pay for performance governmental and third party payer requirements, and The Joint Commission ORYX performance measure reporting requirements.
- Support research efforts both locally, at UPHS, nationally and globally as requested which may include assisting in development of data collection tools, surveys, and active participation in logistics to further evidence to promote quality and safe care for all populations.
- Maintain a working knowledge of principle and practices of quality improvement, team facilitation, problem solving, change management, medical terminology and navigation of the electronic medical record.
- Maintain ongoing capabilities of electronic management information systems, including word processing and spreadsheet application and data base programs (i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel, Midas and Vizient)
- Other duties as assigned
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing or other related Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of three (3) years leading and/or participating in quality improvement and safety programs, including facilitating teams through state or/and federal QIO (Quality Improvement Organization) initiatives or pay for performance processes.
- Knowledge of quality improvement models – such as IHI Model for Improvement, TeamStepps, Lean Management System – Toyota Productions System (TPS), Shingo model or safety experience within healthcare or related field.
- Successful completion of any Penn Medicine – Lancaster General Health training requirements for organizational leadership regarding Lean Management systems, or other related improvement tools to ensure alignments with organizational priorities and required leadership behaviors within 6 months of hire.
- Proficiency with all Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel and project management tools. Ability to utilize data to visually indicate areas needing quality improvement efforts.
- Thorough capabilities with both oral and written communication skills, as well as coaching behaviors needed to work with both front line staff, medical and organizational leaders.
- CPHQ certification or other related patient safety or quality certification
- Master’s degree in related field
- Five (5) years’ experience and expertise with maintaining regulatory, safety and quality standards within a healthcare or industrial setting. Three (3) years in a leadership role within that field
- Experience with statistical software and/or other data analysis and visual display of data
This position is located in Lancaster, PA. #LI-MD1
Benefits of Joining Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health:
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH combines a Nationally Ranked Hospital with great schools, safe neighborhoods, affordable housing, local community events and festivals as well as a wealth of cultural and recreational activities. The scenic Susquehanna River Valley provides opportunities for fishing, skiing, kayaking, hiking and mountain biking in addition to easy access to NJ shoreline or Delaware beaches. Urban life is easily accessible, with New York, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. a train ride away. Local universities, Fulton Theatre, the downtown shopping and dining district and local sports teams make Lancaster a great place to Live, Work and Play.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.
Posted on 09/08/2021