Proton Nurse Navigator
At Lancaster General Health, our culture is what sets us apart and creates a lasting impression of our health system in the community and in the hearts of our patients and their families. A role with us is more than just a job. We ask that you Live Your Legacy by finding your passion in your everyday role, committing to those you serve, and reaching for your personal best.
We are recognized as 1 of only 9 hospitals in the entire country with awards in Medicare.Gov, LEAPFROG and Healthgrades Americas 50 Best Hospitals. We have achieved four-years of Magnet ® status with the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center (ANCC) and we are the 2018 recipient of the Foster G. McGaw Prize in recognition of the commitment to community service.
Join us and be part of a team that empowers you to do more than your job and encourages you to:
Live Your Passion. Live Your Best. Live Your Commitment. Live Your Legacy.
Lancaster General Hospital
7225 SOP-Radiation Oncology
ABBCI Cancer Clinic- Administration
HOURS: Full-time, primarily day shift hours but flexibility needed for patient care and working with referrals. No weekends or holidays.
SUMMARY: This position will be key to assist with referring providers and patients to develop relationships and provide exceptional customer service. This role will establish a strong foundation for our Proton network. The Nurse Navigator will also provide education about radiation oncology modalities and provide support for the trajectory of disease treatment to patients. The Nurse Navigator will also serve as a community educator.
They will be accountable to provide clinical navigation for identified patients within the Penn Medicine LG Health system. They will also perform clinical and administrative functions to support the coordination of inpatient and/or outpatient care needs.
FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Demonstrates proficiency in applying nursing theories, evidence based nursing knowledge, problem solving and therapeutic techniques to perform professional nursing duties safely, legally, ethically, efficiently and effectively.
- Knowledge of pathophysiology of specific disease processes and understands treatment modalities and rationale such as: surgery, therapy, symptom management, diet and self-care strategies, survivorship, surveillance and advanced care planning.
- Understand and apply current clinical guidelines in implementing a treatment plan.
- Manage physical, mental, psychological and/or spiritual well-being while working with the patient to develop a treatment plan and contribute to its implementation and evaluation.
- Provide continuity of care throughout the entire experience. Remain a point of contact for the patient along the continuum of care:
- Respond appropriately to instances of unsafe practice to safeguard the patient’s health;
- Maintain an environment conducive to health and healing including infection control;
- Provides referrals to supportive resources at local, regional and national levels;
- Provides treatment summaries and care plans for patients after receiving treatment.
- Provides education to patient/caregiver on items such as: disease/symptom management, medication purpose and side effects, diet, rehabilitation and when to notify the healthcare provider.
- Assess the health needs of the patient using a bio-psycho-social-spiritual framework including self-determined health goals and develop a plan of care for the patient based on his or her own personal needs.
- Participates in related national and local professional nursing organizations, reviews literature and assess trends in patient care needs and development of services and resources to meet these needs.
- Performs nursing techniques proficiently by maintaining accurate documentation, using appropriate channels of referral and working effectively with other health care team members.
- Assessment of patient’s ability to navigate through the healthcare system and identify potential barriers. Guide patient through the healthcare system including:
- Appropriate referrals to nutrition support, social work, financial counseling, psychology, rehab and/or palliative care.
- Ability to communicate among specialty practices with the healthcare organization- build relationship with physicians and staff.
- Screen and inform patients who may be eligible for clinical trials for advancement of practice.
- Advocate and facilitate access to the appropriate services to individuals with disabilities and advocate for equal access for all patients regardless of financial status.
- Advocate for the patient’s right to autonomy and an informed decision making process.
- Identify and implement methodologies for continuous quality improvement within the service line and support disease specific performance improvement initiatives.
- Actively engage and participate in community outreach, education and supportive services programs, including appropriate screening programs or educational and health awareness promotion activities.
- Current licensure as a Registered Professional Nurse, issued by the PA State Board of Nursing is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing, healthcare management or related field is required.
- Specialty certification required within 3 years of hire (Oncology Certification issued by OCN, OBPN or CBCN)..
- Three (3) or more years of experience as a clinical nurse in related specialty, Five (5) years preferred.
- Experience in care coordination and patient education preferred.
Lancaster General Health invests in the Employee Total Rewards by providing our employees with a competitive comprehensive packaging inclusive of:
Generous paid time off, Health, Dental, Vision, Wellness and Prescription, Retirement with an employer match and basic contribution, Tuition discounts and a tuition free affiliation with Pennsylvania Health Sciences. We also provide subsidized childcare, life insurance and career advancement opportunities for long term career growth.
Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health as a result of the referral or through other means.
Posted on 09/03/2020