Professional Coding Educator (Full Time/ Day Shift)
Monday - Friday 8:00AM - 4:30PM Remote once trained
The Coding Educator is responsible for supporting Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health Physicians (LGHP) by reviewing, promoting, and evaluating professional coding and professional fee billing. This position serves as a resource to the Professional Coding team to educate new and existing coding staff on coding, coding education processes, creation of standard work, etc. The Coding Educator also acts as a resource to providers and practices for coding education. The Coding Educator helps to optimize revenue through appropriate coding while adhering to official coding guidelines for the purpose of assuring accuracy and compliance when billing insurance carriers. This position assists the Coding Specialists in the performance of annual chart reviews of professional fee billing specifically for LGHP and certain LGH Practices.
The Coding Educator helps to ensure an accurate and consistent approach to coding education of both coding staff and providers. This includes accurate and appropriate gathering of information into the coding classification systems to meet departmental, hospital and outside agency requirements. It also includes ensuring appropriate reimbursement, compliance and charging with the various coding guidelines and regulatory agencies. Responsible for obtaining accurate and complete documentation in the medical record for accurate coding assignment, severity of illness and risk of mortality for each medical record. This position is an integral part of the revenue cycle as it pertains to physician coding and billing functions, as such will interact with physician and non-physician providers to maximize correct coding initiatives.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Act as an educational resource for Professional Coding staff (includes preparing and presenting educational content to Professional Coding staff).
- Act as an educational resource to LGHP leaders, clinicians, practices, and Patient Business/Financial Services (includes preparing and presenting educational content to those outside of the Professional Coding team). Provides coding education to new providers as part of their LGHP orientation.
- Create and implement standardized coding educational tools for use by the Professional Coding team
- Determine educational coding training by: Topic (OP, IP, PCS, DRG, CPT, ICD-10, HCC, HCPCS, Edits, etc.) Method (webinar, skype, in-house presentation, etc.) Setting (group, 1:1 or at-your-own-pace).
- Review medical records for coding accuracy
- Identify areas of opportunity through revenue optimization by utilization of the most appropriate coding methods, following regulatory and insurance guidelines.
- Responsible for ongoing review, auditing, DQ reports on coded charts with feedback provided to coders.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Prepare reports for administration as needed to summarize coding issues.
- Provides support through special projects as assigned
- Serves as a “back up” to the Coding Specialist role in assisting with practice reviews, education, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- HS diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Formal education in ICD-10-CM coding, CPT-4 coding, and medical terminology.
- Certification as a Certified Coding Specialist for Physicians (CCS-P) or a Certified Professional Coder (CPC) within three years of employment.
- Three (3) years of ICD-10-CM coding experience
- Three (3) years of CPT-4 coding experience
- One (1) year or more training and provider education experience
- Prior experience presenting/educating
- Experience with electronic health records, preferably EPIC.
- Extensive experience with coding software products.
- Experience with technical writing/report writing.
- One (1) year experience with Epic
- Three (3) to five (5) years’ experience with physician billing
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 09/30/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.