Physician Assistant - Specialty
At Lancaster General Health, our culture is what sets us apart and creates a lasting impression of our health system in the community and in the hearts of our patients and their families. A role with us is more than just a job, we ask that you Live Your Legacy at LGH by finding your passion in your everyday role, committing to those you serve, and reaching for your personal best.
We are recognized as 1 of only 9 hospitals in the entire country with awards in Medicare.Gov, LEAPFROG and Healthgrades Americas 50 Best Hospitals. We have attained four-year Magnet ® recognition status for the fourth time with the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center (ANCC) and we are the 2018 recipient of the Foster G. McGaw Prize in recognition of the commitment to community service.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers a comprehensive benefits package:
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program so that our employees can stay actively engaged and committed to living their legacy every day. Together, we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Join us and be part of a team that empowers you to do more than your job and encourages you to:
Live Your Passion. Live Your Best. Live Your Commitment. Live Your Legacy.
Lancaster General Medical Grp
61320 Urgent Care Rohrerstown
Southeast Urgent Care APC
Benefits of Joining Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health:
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH combines a Nationally Ranked Hospital with great schools, safe neighborhoods, affordable housing, local community events and festivals as well as a wealth of cultural and recreational activities. The scenic Susquehanna River Valley provides opportunities for fishing, skiing, kayaking, hiking and mountain biking in addition to easy access to NJ shoreline or Delaware beaches. Urban life is easily accessible, with New York, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. a train ride away. Local universities, Fulton Theatre, the downtown shopping and dining district and local sports teams make Lancaster a great place to Live, Work and Play.
POSITION SUMMARY: Functions in an expanded role as a professional nurse, performing acts of medical diagnosis and prescription of medical therapeutics or corrective measures, in collaboration with a physician.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Obtain comprehensive health history: perform physical examination on new admissions and document/dictate in patient record.
- Perform and/or participate in rounds of hospitalized patients, including physical assessment, interpretation of diagnostic studies, interaction with nursing staff and documentation in medical record.
- Order (verbal or written) common diagnostic studies, laboratory studies and pharmacologic treatment modalities according to written protocol in collaboration with the physician.
- Order (verbal or written) pharmacologics if he/she has obtained prescriptive privileges as documented by a current collaborative practice agreement with a physician member of the LGH Medical and Dental Staff and a current letter of approval of prescriptive authority from the PA State Board of Nursing. The PA can only write for those pharmacologics identified on the collaborative agreement.
- No pharmacologic orders can be written by a PA while the patient is located in the Emergency Medicine Department unless the PA has prescriptive authority and the Emergency Department is specifically identified in the collaborative agreement as an approved site for prescribing pharmacologics.
- If the PA does NOT have prescriptive privileges, all pharmacologic orders (including diagnostic studies utilizing dye or other pharmacologics) must be written by the PA in the medical record as a verbal order from the collaborating physician and cosigned by the collaborating physician within 24 hours.
- In collaboration with the attending physician, assist in establishing diagnosis, formulating plan of care, evaluation of patient response, and revising plan of care.
- Consult other physicians and members of the healthcare team and agencies in collaboration with the physician.
- Dictate a consultation report only after the case has been presented to the physician and the collaborating physician has reviewed the chart and evaluated the patient. All dictated consults must state specifically that the physician saw and evaluated the patient and discussed the plan of care.
- Facilitate the discharge process and dictate discharge summary.
- Perform diagnostic and therapeutic functions within the scope of RN and PA practice as designated by clinical privileges and obtain informed consent as appropriate. A procedure note must be dictated for all clinical procedures for which the PA has privileges that require competency validation.
- Discuss medical plan with patient/family. Serve as a liaison between physicians and patient/family as needed to enhance communication and understanding.
- Provide support and clinical expertise to nursing personnel regarding complex patient care issues.
- Participate in collaborative appraisal of his/her own practice with PA peers including mandatory compliance with peer review requirements.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Provide for the educational needs of the patient/family through verbal and written teaching and development of educational materials.
- Provide for the educational needs of the pre-hospital, nursing, physician staff by discussion, didactic sessions/presentations, trauma nurse course and development of educational materials and programs.
- Provide for the educational needs of the community through verbal and written teaching and development of injury prevention and outreach materials.
- Participates in the on-call responsibilities for this position as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Current licensure as a Physician Assistant by PA Board of Medicine.
- Graduate of Accredited Physician Assistant training program.
- A health care provider in good standing with Medicare, Medicaid, and other federal and state health insurance programs, i.e. not excluded from participation in Medicare, Medicaid or any other federal or state health insurance program.
- Minimum one year experience as a Physician Assistant.
ATTENTION/CONCENTRATION – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus on certain aspects of current experience and reject others:
- The position requires strong concentration skills. The individual must have the ability to voluntarily sustain concentration to a task over an extended period of time as a result of an effortful and usually deliberate heightened and focused state of attention.
NEW LEARNING AND MEMORY – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to learn and retain material:
- A large portion of this position required reliance on verbal memory and new learning. Efficiency in processing of verbal information, either in written or spoken form, is a major requirement and prerequisite of the job. The individual must be able to attend to and process multiple bits of information simultaneously. The individual must be able to organize and categorize this information effectively so that later recall is feasible.
PROBLEM SOLVING, REASONING AND CREATIVE THINKING – The following level of ability that is essential for the jobholder to think (in order to solve a problem) by combining two or more elements from past experience or imaginative thought:
- The position required much autonomy of thought and problem solving. The individual must be able to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to define problems. The individual must be able to think abstractly, which is manifested in the ability to form concepts, use categories, generalize from single instances, apply procedural rules and general principles, and be aware of subtle or intrinsic aspects of a problem. The development of hypothesis and potential solutions to problems involves careful interpretation, analysis and diagnosis. The individual must be able to collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. The individual must be able to think creatively with a degree of inventiveness, experimentation and intuition. They must be able to deal with a variety of concrete and abstract variables.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Leadership, control and planning: Ability to accept responsibility for leadership, direction, control, planning, negotiating, organizing, directing, supervising, formulating practices, or making final decisions.
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies, stethoscope, tubex, BP cuff, scissors, hemostats, thermometer, bedside monitor, computer, infusion pumps, suction units, oxygen meters, PCA pump, Antithrombin stockings, transport monitor
Software: Microsoft Office Products, clinical information system
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Frequently
- Stand: Frequently
- Walk: Frequently
- Bend: Rarely
- Push: Occasionally
- Pull: Rarely
- Kneel/Squat: Rarely
- Reach: Occasionally
- Twist: Rarely
- Balance: Rarely
- Climb: Occasionally
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is:
Light, exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Position involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
- Bio hazardous Waste
- Blood borne Pathogens
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.
Posted on 10/01/2020