Phlebotomy Technician Nursing Home and Specialty Services (32hrs/week, 1st shift)
Lancaster General Hospital
5093 LAB-Offsite Services
Lab Offsite & Mobile Rad Management
POSITION SUMMARY: This position is responsible for facilitating the direction, coordination, and prioritization of patient flow and customer support at contracted Extended Care Facilities (ECF’s) and other non-LGH facilities. Completes all functions related to registration, billing and validation of insurance information. Performs phlebotomy and EKG/Holters upon request during daily rounds at client locations and responds to on-call needs.
3:00 am to 10:00 am flexible hours, rotating holidays and weekends.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Using established standards and processes, facilitates the direction, coordination, and prioritization of patient flow and customer support at contracted Extended Care Facilities (ECF’s) or other non-LGH facilities; coordinates a collaborative patient service work environment by fostering a spirit of interdisciplinary cooperativeness between nursing, physicians, and ancillary support.
- Performs phlebotomy during daily rounds at client locations and responds to on-call needs.
- Anticipates customer needs by providing appropriate education/instruction based on customer encounter.
- Participates in performance improvement activities related to patient care, customer satisfaction and registration requirements.
- Contributes to clinical environment by identifying immediate issues and concerns that must be addressed by the clinical team to meet patient care requirements.
- Establishes a compassionate environment by providing emotional, psychological, and spiritual support to patients, families and friends. Functions as a patient advocate by establishing personal rapport with patient, family, and other persons to determine care requirements.
- Resolve service problems by clarifying the customer’s complaint, determining the cause of the problem; selecting and explaining the best solution to solve problems; expediting correction or adjustment; following up to ensure resolution.
- Contributes to the team effort by accomplishing responsibilities related to job duties.
- Open customer account by recording account information with a minimum of 95% accuracy.
- Maintain customer records by updating account information with current benefits/authorization.
- Maintain financial accounts by processing customer adjustments when applicable. Documents service by completing forms, reports, logs, and records. Collect patient payments per departmental guidelines.
- Maintains data entry requirements by following data station program techniques and procedures.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Identifies personal learning needs and seeks out available resources and opportunities.
- Exhibits knowledge of hospital/entity communication systems and provides assistance to others.
- Maintains staff credentialing requirements by keeping abreast of advances in area of specialty by attending education workshops, reviewing professional publications and establishing personal networks.
- Participates in the on-call responsibilities for this position as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School diploma or equivalent is required.
- Valid driver’s license as regional travel is required.
- Cellular telephone.
- Reliable motor vehicle (due to regional travel required).
- Two (2) years using professional skills of interpersonal relationships.
- Two (2) years of computer experience.
- Three (3) years in a customer service role using strong professional communication skills; excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Phlebotomy experience.
- Licensure as a Phlebotomy Technician, PBT (ASCP).
- Two (2) years of medical terminology experience.
- Two (2) years of experience with business telephone communications.
- Two (2) years of clinical experience.
- Associate’s degree is preferred.
ATTENTION/CONCENTRATION – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus on certain aspects of current experience and reject others:
The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
NEW LEARNING AND MEMORY – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to learn and retain material:
The position requires that an individual be able to learn new tasks quickly and effectively. Job requirements change frequently. The ability to understand and carry out detailed, involved instructions is mandatory.
PROBLEM SOLVING, REASONING AND CREATIVE THINKING – The following level of ability that is essential for the jobholder to think (in order to solve a problem) by combining two or more elements from past experience or imaginative thought:
The position requires the ability to evaluate existing options to resolve a presenting problem independently. The resolutions or options are clearly defined, limited in number and are altered infrequently. Selection of the most appropriate solution is based on well-established and defined guidelines.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Repetitive work: Ability to continuously perform the same type of work for extended periods of time, according to set procedures, sequence or pace.
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies, pager, phlebotomy equipment, EKG and Holter monitors
Software: Microsoft Office Products, multiple information systems
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Frequently
- Stand: Frequently
- Walk: Frequently
- Bend: Rarely
- Push: Occasionally
- Pull: Occasionally
- Kneel/Squat: Rarely
- Reach: Occasionally
- Twist: Rarely
- Balance: Rarely
- Climb: Rarely
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is: Heavy, exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Position involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
- Bio hazardous Waste
- Blood borne Pathogens
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
Posted on 12/16/2019