Phlebotomy Technician - 2nd shift/full time
At Lancaster General Health, our culture is what sets us apart and creates a lasting impression of our health system in the community and in the hearts of our patients and their families. A role with us is more than just a job, we ask that you Live Your Legacy at LGH by finding your passion in your everyday role, committing to those you serve, and reaching for your personal best.
We are recognized as 1 of only 9 hospitals in the entire country with awards in Medicare.Gov, LEAPFROG and Healthgrades Americas 50 Best Hospitals. We have attained five year Magnet ® recognition status for the fifth time with the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center (ANCC) and we are the 2018 recipient of the Foster G. McGaw Prize in recognition of the commitment to community service.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers a comprehensive benefits package:
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program so that our employees can stay actively engaged and committed to living their legacy every day. Together, we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Join us and be part of a team that empowers you to do more than your job and encourages you to:
Live Your Passion. Live Your Best. Live Your Commitment. Live Your Legacy.
Eligible for up to $1,000 SIGN-ON BONUS!
This position is full-time and located at Lancaster General Hospital on 2nd shift (2:30pm-11:00pm). Every other weekend, holiday, and on-call rotation.
ATTENTION: Please be aware that, if you are an external applicant, you may need to complete an online assessment as part of the hiring process. This assessment will be sent to the e-mail address that you included in your application. Please note: Some e-mail accounts may receive the assessment e-mail in their junk/spam e-mail. This assessment must be completed within 5 days of receiving it. For more information regarding the assessment, please click HERE.
Phlebotomists are vital in the production of clinical laboratory results. It is their responsibility to obtain quality blood specimens which play a crucial role in in a majority clinical decisions. In addition to a knowledge of anatomy, blood collection techniques, proper infection control procedures, phlebotomists must have strong communication and interpersonal skills reflecting the utmost professionalism.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- In a hospital inpatient setting, performs venipuncture and capillary puncture blood collection according to laboratory policies, procedures, and regulatory standards. This includes Intensive Care Units, Medical Nursing Units, Emergency Department, and Trauma Bay.
- Optimizes patient care by providing timely and accurate collection of blood specimens on both pediatric and adult patients.
- Maintains patient safety by accurately identifying patients and associating the collected sample with the patient.
- Follows all proper organizational Infection Control procedures and isolation protocols, including but not limited to Airborne, Droplet, and Contact Isolation.
- Uses technology such as computer applications to organize and facilitate efficient patient care.
- Works continually within multidisciplinary teams. This includes but is not limited to response to code situations (patient requiring resuscitative efforts) such as Trauma, Stroke, Hemodynamic Stability, and Cardiac events.
- Performs blood collection in environments of extreme stress and difficult emotional situations with proficiency.
- Navigate and mitigate work within a hazardous environment utilizing critical thinking and situational awareness.
- Carries out lab testing at the bedside with point of care testing devices including performance, evaluation, and trouble shooting of quality control on bedside analyzers.
- Provide compassionate care in a professional manner.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Facilitates on-boarding of new staff
- Participates in activities for maintenance of CAP and ISO15189 accreditation.
- Serves as point person by assuming departmental roles pertaining to Safety, Charge, Materials Management.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
High School diploma or equivalent
- Certification as a Phlebotomist.
- Experience in a health care setting.
- Customer care experience.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
Benefits of Joining Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health:
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH combines a Nationally Ranked Hospital with great schools, safe neighborhoods, affordable housing, local community events and festivals as well as a wealth of cultural and recreational activities. The scenic Susquehanna River Valley provides opportunities for fishing, skiing, kayaking, hiking and mountain biking in addition to easy access to NJ shoreline or Delaware beaches. Urban life is easily accessible, with New York, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. a train ride away. Local universities, Fulton Theatre, the downtown shopping and dining district and local sports teams make Lancaster a great place to Live, Work and Play.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.
Posted on 12/09/2021