Phlebotomy Technician - 2nd shift ($1,000 SIGN-ON BONUS!, 40 hrs/week)
At Lancaster General Health, our culture is what sets us apart and creates a lasting impression of our health system in the community and in the hearts of our patients and their families. A role with us is more than just a job, we ask that you Live Your Legacy at LGH by finding your passion in your everyday role, committing to those you serve, and reaching for your personal best.
We are recognized as 1 of only 9 hospitals in the entire country with awards in Medicare.Gov, LEAPFROG and Healthgrades Americas 50 Best Hospitals. We have attained four-year Magnet ® recognition status for the fourth time with the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center (ANCC) and we are the 2018 recipient of the Foster G. McGaw Prize in recognition of the commitment to community service.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers a comprehensive benefits package:
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program so that our employees can stay actively engaged and committed to living their legacy every day. Together, we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Join us and be part of a team that empowers you to do more than your job and encourages you to:
Live Your Passion. Live Your Best. Live Your Commitment. Live Your Legacy.
Lancaster General Hospital
Lab - Phlebotomy 2nd Shift
Benefits of Joining Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health:
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH combines a Nationally Ranked Hospital with great schools, safe neighborhoods, affordable housing, local community events and festivals as well as a wealth of cultural and recreational activities. The scenic Susquehanna River Valley provides opportunities for fishing, skiing, kayaking, hiking and mountain biking in addition to easy access to NJ shoreline or Delaware beaches. Urban life is easily accessible, with New York, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. a train ride away. Local universities, Fulton Theatre, the downtown shopping and dining district and local sports teams make Lancaster a great place to Live, Work and Play.
ATTENTION: Please be aware that, if you are an external applicant, you may need to complete an online assessment as part of the hiring process. This assessment will be sent to the e-mail address that you included in your application. Please note: Some e-mail accounts may receive the assessment e-mail in their junk/spam e-mail. This assessment must be completed within 5 days of receiving it. For more information regarding the assessment, please click HERE.
$1,000 SIGN-ON BONUS!
Located at Lancaster General Hospital on 2nd shift (2:30pm-11pm), 40 hrs/week, every other weekend, holiday and on-call rotation.
Performs a wide variety of support functions for the Laboratory and Laboratory Service Areas. This position requires skills in some or all of the following functional areas: phlebotomy, point-of-care testing, specimen collection and preparation tasks. Maintains required competency skills in the required areas of expertise required for the specific work area.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- In a hospital inpatient setting, performs venipuncture and capillary puncture blood collection according to laboratory policies, procedures, and regulatory standards. This includes Intensive Care Units, Medical Nursing Units, Emergency Department, and Trauma Bay.
- Appropriately respond to patients who are unpleasant or discourteous due to their injuries or illness.
- Verifies test orders; bringing discrepancies to the attention of the care provider for clarification.
- Optimizes patient care by providing timely and accurate collection of blood specimens on both pediatric and adult patients.
- Maintains specimen integrity by using aseptic technique, following hospital and laboratory procedures.
- Maintains patient safety by accurately identifying patients and associating the collected sample with the patient.
- Safety manage continual exposure to diseases and infections, hazardous conditions and contaminants.
- Follow proper organizational Infection Control procedures and isolation protocols, including but not limited to Airborne, Droplet, and Contact Isolation.
- Maintains quality results by following department procedures and testing schedule.
- Uses technology such as computer applications to organize and facilitate efficient patient care.
- Works continually within multidisciplinary teams. This includes but is not limited to response to code situations (patient requiring resuscitative efforts) such as Trauma, Stroke, Hemodynamic Stability, and Cardiac events.
- Performs blood collection in environments of extreme stress and difficult emotional situations with proficiency.
- Work near others, usually a few feet apart.
- Navigate and mitigate work within a hazardous environment utilizing critical thinking and situational awareness.
- Carries out lab testing at the bedside with point of care testing devices including performance, evaluation, and trouble shooting of quality control on bedside analyzers.
- Provide compassionate care in a professional manner.
- Inventories phlebotomy supplies, and stocks work area as needed.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining professional networks, and participating in professional organizations. A minimum of 4 hours of continued education are required and are provided annually via monthly newsletter, webinars, in-services and other forums.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Maintains a working knowledge of equipment necessary to perform tasks. This includes performing QC, maintenance and basic troubleshooting on printers, PC’s, pagers/telephones and Point of Care instruments.
- Within a patient care setting, develops work schedules and job assignments to optimize efficiency and productivity.
- Inventories, stocks and orders supplies.
- Collects patient demographic and insurance information for specimen processing when needed.
- Use of computer systems for other tasks such as but not limited to patient registration or scheduling.
- Additional clinical procedures including but not limited to EKG, holter monitors, 24 hr. Blood pressure, vital signs, or pain management.
- Participates in the on-call responsibilities for this position as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED) is required.
- Valid Pennsylvania driver’s license, if performing off-site phlebotomy, is required.
- Six (6) months employment in a healthcare setting.
- Typing ability of at least 50 wpm.
- Experience in performing phlebotomy and/or point of care testing.
- Licensure as a Phlebotomy Technician, PBT (ASCP).
- CPR certification.
ATTENTION/CONCENTRATION – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus on certain aspects of current experience and reject others:
- The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
NEW LEARNING AND MEMORY – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to learn and retain material:
- Job demands are only moderately routine and predictable. Changes may occur which require the individual to be able to understand and carry out detailed instructions.
PROBLEM SOLVING, REASONING AND CREATIVE THINKING – The following level of ability that is essential for the jobholder to think (in order to solve a problem) by combining two or more elements from past experience or imaginative thought:
- The position requires the ability to evaluate existing options to resolve a presenting problem. The resolutions or options are clearly defined, limited in number and are altered infrequently. Selection of the most appropriate solution is based on well-established and defined guidelines.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Repetitive work: Ability to continuously perform the same type of work for extended periods of time, according to set procedures, sequence or pace.
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: telephone, FAX machine, computer, copier, centrifuge, refrigerator, printer, point of care testing devices, blood drawing devices, i.e. vacutainer system, needles, syringes, office supplies.
Software: Microsoft Office Products, clinical information system, e-mail.
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Frequently
- Stand: Frequently
- Walk: Frequently
- Bend: Rarely
- Push: Occasionally
- Pull: Occasionally
- Kneel/Squat: Rarely
- Reach: Occasionally
- Twist: Rarely
- Balance: Rarely
- Climb: Rarely
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is: Light, exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Position involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
- Bio hazardous Waste
- Blood borne Pathogens
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.
Posted on 12/02/2020