Phlebotomy Technician (20hrs/week, 1st shift)
Lancaster General Hospital
Job Title: Phlebotomy Technician
This position is located at Lancaster General Hospital in Lancaster, PA.
Part-time, .5 , 40 hours per two weeks working 4:00 AM to 12:30 PM with every other weekend/holiday and rotational on call
ATTENTION: Please be aware that, if you are an external applicant, you may need to complete an online assessment as part of the hiring process. This assessment will be sent to the e-mail address that you included in your application. Please note: Some e-mail accounts may receive the assessment e-mail in their junk/spam e-mail. This assessment must be completed within 5 days of receiving it. For more information regarding the assessment, please click HERE.
POSITION SUMMARY: Performs a wide variety of support functions for the Laboratory and Laboratory Service Areas. This position requires skills in some or all of the following functional areas: phlebotomy, point-of-care testing, specimen collection and preparation tasks. Maintains required competency skills in the required areas of expertise required for the specific work area.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Performs venipuncture and capillary specimen collection in an ambulatory and hospital setting.
- Validates patient identity, specimen integrity and maintains working knowledge of specimen requirements and special protocols.
- Documents all stages of specimen collection in required computer systems including investigating orders, “receiving” specimens, canceling tests, running collection lists and producing and using reconciliation reports.
- Provide mentorship and oversight for new employees and clinical interns.
- Organizes assigned workload and performs appropriate tasks meeting established productivity standards in phlebotomy and point of care testing.
- Demonstrates the Lancaster General Hospital Standards of Performance in dealing with patients, visitors, and coworkers.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Maintains a working knowledge of equipment necessary to perform tasks. This includes performing QC, maintenance and basic troubleshooting on printers, PC’s, pagers/telephones and Point of Care instruments.
- Within a patient care setting, develops work schedules and job assignments to optimize efficiency and productivity.
- Inventories, stocks and orders supplies.
- Collects patient demographic and insurance information for specimen processing when needed.
- Use of computer systems for other tasks such as but not limited to patient registration or scheduling.
- Additional clinical procedures including but not limited to EKG, holter monitors, 24 hr. Blood pressure, vital signs, or pain management.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED) is required.
- Valid Pennsylvania driver’s license, if performing off-site phlebotomy, is required.
- Six (6) months employment in a healthcare setting.
- Typing ability of at least 50 wpm.
- Experience in performing phlebotomy and/or point of care testing.
- Licensure as a Phlebotomy Technician, PBT (ASCP).
- CPR certification.
This position requires PA Child Abuse and FBI Fingerprinting Clearances.
Posted on 01/06/2020