Phlebotomy & Customer Service Specialist-Willow Lakes Outpatient (20 hrs/week 1st shift)
Lancaster General Hospital
7598 Willow Lakes-Laboratory Testing
Willow Lakes-Lab Testing
Phlebotomy and Customer Service Specialist
This position is located in the lab at the Willow Lakes OP Center in Willow Street, Pa
Part-time, 0.5, 20 hours per week working varied hours Monday 6:30 am -7:00 pm Tuesday through Friday 6:30 am-6:00 pm with every other Saturday 7:00 am-11:00 am, no Sundays or holidays.
POSITION SUMMARY: Provides complete and accurate patient scheduling, registration, insurance verification, ordering of tests and coordination of applicable screening, diagnostic, physician office and outpatient hospital services. Capable of coordinating and communicating effectively during increased volumes or with complex patients. This position requires clinical skills in the following functional areas: phlebotomy, EKG, holter monitors, point-of-care testing and specimen collection. Maintains required competency skills.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Performs venipuncture and capillary specimen collection in an ambulatory setting.
- Validates patient identity, specimen integrity and maintains working knowledge of specimen requirements and all clinical protocols
- Documents all stages of specimen collection in required computer systems including investigating and processing orders, “receiving” specimens, canceling tests, running collection lists and producing and using reconciliation reports.
- Maintains clinical skills necessary to perform duty/job.
- Completes cleaning tasks utilizing regulatory standards.
- Performs maintenance and/or inventory of equipment and supplies according to unit/department standards.
- Performs complete and accurate patient registration including but not limited to walk in, check-in, and/or scheduled appointments.
- Demonstrates ability to successfully adapt and perform during times of high volumes and/or high patient acuity. Demonstrates skill to service both inpatient and outpatient, if necessary.
- Supports inbound and outbound calls to or from patients, guests, or appropriate parties as needed to provide services. Screens and accurately relays messages using protocols established for emergent, urgent and non-urgent calls.
- Verifies patient, guarantor, coverage and hospital account information. Performs required referral/authorization processes and enters orders for applicable tests.
- Understands insurance company coverage and referral/authorization requirements of payors. Performs electronic and manual verification of insurance coverage and understands how to read and accurately apply electronic insurance responses.
- Prepares and/or releases records or orders in the e-Health record. Scans all necessary documents into appropriate medical record. Understands the importance of patient’s medical information that is documented on paper.
- Completes assigned patient scheduling and registration work queues according to performance standards. Ability to resolve work queue issues and missing registration items via electronic medical record.
- Disseminates or discusses information with the patients regarding co-pays, out of pocket expenses, pre-appointment preparation, arrival times, etc.
- Understands and supports Point of Service Collections. Performs all necessary functions needed to collect patient financial obligations.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Additional clinical procedures including but not limited to: EKG, holter monitors, 24 hr Blood pressure or vital signs.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Completion of educational requirements (additional formal education/training; maximum supervision for initial competency; yearly competency evaluation and training).
- CPR certification within 6 months of hire. (Current employees have until 6/1/2016 to obtain CPR certification).
- One (1) year of clerical, customer service, or administrative support experience in a highly customer-oriented organization.
- One (1) year experience with basic keyboarding, personal computer use, and other office setting equipment.
Posted on 08/14/2019
- Previous phlebotomy or registration experience. Training will be provided upon hire.
- One (1) year of Epic (or equivalent Electronic Medical Record) experience.