Phlebotomy & Customer Service Specialist Team Lead
Lancaster General Hospital
7210 SOP-Laboratory Testing
SOP/WBH - Lab Testing
ATTENTION: Please be aware that, if you are an external applicant, you may need to complete an online assessment as part of the hiring process. This assessment will be sent to the e-mail address that you included in your application. Please note: Some e-mail accounts may receive the assessment e-mail in their junk/spam e-mail. This assessment must be completed within 5 days of receiving it. For more information regarding the assessment, please click HERE.
Performs a variety of support functions for the Laboratory and Registration. Specializes in phlebotomy and full patient registration, as well as other specimen preparation and collection duties. Maintains required competency skills in the areas of expertise required for the specific work area. Patient care includes care to patients in the following age groups: children (zero through 17 years), adult (18 through 64 years), and geriatric (65 years and above). Assists supervisor/manager in daily operations. Performs quality and assurance data checks to support quantitative measures for the department. Acts as a first line resource for staff and resolves complex issues. Reviews daily workloads to include assisting in the oversight of daily operations of the department. Capable of coordinating and communicating effectively during increased volumes or with complex patients.
This position is fulltime, 32 hours/week and located at the Suburban Pavilion. Hours are from 11:00am-7:00pm Monday-Friday, working one Saturday a month from 7:00am-12:00pm. No Holidays.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Performs core functions of the Phlebotomy & Customer Service Specialist role as needed on a regular basis.
- Monitors and contributes to the performance evaluation of staff. Interacts with Supervisor/Manager to resolve performance problems.
- Primary resource for internal customers regarding complaints and concerns and escalated resource for external customer issues. Remains professional and builds effective relationships with key customers.
- Interacts with Laboratory, Laboratory Testing, physician office staff, and extended care facility staff to resolve incidental problems or concerns. Reports these to Director, Manager or Supervisor as indicated by nature of the problem. Implements or assists in implementing solutions. Documents problems and issues on appropriate forms.
- Keeps abreast of daily workload of the department and effectively adjusts staff schedule to balance and expedite the workflow for maximum productivity.
- Exhibits flexibility and adaptability to meet the needs of customers, operational team, and leadership team.
- Monitors and reports team behaviors and performance to the Supervisor or Manager regularly with supportive documentation. Dissolves crisis situations within the team in a calm and effective manner.
- Keeps Supervisor or Manager informed of potential problems concerning operations and conflicts or issues among staff and/or with extended care facility clients.
- Assists management in evaluating, changing, developing, and implementing processes to provide ongoing customer service improvements.
- Serves as point person for software and process questions or concerns. In conjunction with Supervisor or Manager, facilitates resolution of issues. Prepares and disseminates effective communication of issue resolution to staff.
- Assists with any special projects as assigned.
- Monitors real time team performance to drive service level goals. Prepares reports to assess individual staff performance and accuracy and provides feedback to Supervisor/Manager.
- Complies with customer service standards.
- Maintains working knowledge of clinical information systems as well as front end registration processes.
- Performs additional job functions appropriate to area as necessary.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Instructs employees, students, and cross-trainers in area of expertise. Documents training.
- Coordinates orientation programs for new employees.
- Within a team setting, develops working and on-call schedules and job assignments.
- Assesses equipment failure, performs troubleshooting operations, and initiates maintenance or service requests via electronic forms.
- Prepares departmental time and attendance for managerial approval.
- Monitors and maintains departmental supplies with sensitivity to the budget.
- Maintains proficiency and knowledge in all areas of Outpatient and Physician scheduling and provides coverage as needed to meet Service Level goals.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Degree (GED).
- Licensure as a Phlebotomy Technician, PBT (ASCP) or 3 years phlebotomy experience if performing phlebotomy duties.
- Valid PA Driver’s License for travel to other facilities.
- One (1) year experience as a Customer Service Specialist.
- One (1) year experience in Revenue Cycle in a Hospital/Medical Office setting.
- One (1) year of clerical, customer service, or administrative support experience in a highly customer-oriented organization.
- One (1) year experience with basic keyboarding, personal computer use, and other office setting equipment. A health care provider in good standing with Medicare, Medicaid, and other federal and state health insurance programs, i.e. not excluded from participation in Medicare, Medicaid or any other federal or state health insurance program.
- Three (3) years of laboratory experience.
- CPR certification.
Attention/Concentration: The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus on certain aspects of current experience and reject others.
The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
New Learning and Memory: The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to learn and retain material.
A large portion of this position requires reliance on verbal memory and new learning. Efficiency in processing of verbal information, either in written or spoken form, is a major requirement and prerequisite of the job. The individual must be able to attend to and process multiple bits of information simultaneously. The individual must be able to organize and categorize this information effectively so that later recall is feasible.
Problem Solving, Reasoning and Creative Thinking: The following level of ability that is essential for the jobholder to think (in order to solve a problem) by combining two or more elements from past experience or imaginative thought.
The position deals with issues or problems that often require thoughtful reasoning before arriving at approaches or solutions. Some independent thought, planning or origination of options and solutions is necessary. The individual must have the ability to apply principles of reasoning and problem solving to resolve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act.
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies, Centrifuge, blood-drawing devices, vacutainer system, needles, syringes
Software: Microsoft Office Products, clinical information system, EPIC, Sentinel and other off the shelf programming.
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Occasionally
- Stand: Frequently
- Walk: Occasionally
- Bend: Occasionally
- Push: Rarely
- Pull: Rarely
- Kneel/Squat: Rarely
- Reach: Rarely
- Twist: Rarely
- Balance: Occasionally
- Climb: Occasionally
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is: Light, exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
Position involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
- Bio hazardous Waste
- Blood borne Pathogens
- Extreme Noise Levels
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
Posted on 05/28/2020