Phlebotomy & Customer Service Specialist (Full Time/Days)
Position is located at the Norlanco Outpatient Center 424 Cloverleaf Road, Elizabethtown, PA 17022. Our facility is open Monday to Thursday 0630 am to 0700 pm. Friday 0630am to 0600pm. Saturday 0700am to 1200pm. The position is for 1.0 FTE 40 hours per week. No major holidays. Every other Saturday required. Hours for this position will be Monday to Thursday 1100am to 0700pm, Friday 1000am to 0600pm. Saturday 0700am to 1200pm.
Schedule: 40 hours per week; Monday-Thursday 11AM-7PM, Friday 10AM-6PM & every other Saturday 7AM-12PM.
POSITION SUMMARY: Provides complete and accurate patient scheduling, registration, insurance verification, ordering of tests and coordination of applicable screening, diagnostic, physician office and outpatient hospital services. Capable of coordinating and communicating effectively during increased volumes or with complex patients. This position requires clinical skills in the following functional areas: phlebotomy, EKG, holter monitors, point-of-care testing and specimen collection. Maintains required competency skills.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Performs venipuncture and capillary specimen collection in an ambulatory setting.
- Validates patient identity, specimen integrity and maintains working knowledge of specimen requirements and all clinical protocols
- Documents all stages of specimen collection in required computer systems including investigating and processing orders, “receiving” specimens, canceling tests, running collection lists and producing and using reconciliation reports.
- Maintains clinical skills necessary to perform duty/job.
- Completes cleaning tasks utilizing regulatory standards.
- Performs maintenance and/or inventory of equipment and supplies according to unit/department standards.
- Performs complete and accurate patient registration including but not limited to walk in, check-in, and/or scheduled appointments.
- Demonstrates ability to successfully adapt and perform during times of high volumes and/or high patient acuity. Demonstrates skill to service both inpatient and outpatient, if necessary.
- Supports inbound and outbound calls to or from patients, guests, or appropriate parties as needed to provide services. Screens and accurately relays messages using protocols established for emergent, urgent and non-urgent calls.
- Verifies patient, guarantor, coverage and hospital account information. Performs required referral/authorization processes and enters orders for applicable tests.
- Understands insurance company coverage and referral/authorization requirements of payors. Performs electronic and manual verification of insurance coverage and understands how to read and accurately apply electronic insurance responses.
- Prepares and/or releases records or orders in the e-Health record. Scans all necessary documents into appropriate medical record. Understands the importance of patient’s medical information that is documented on paper.
- Completes assigned patient scheduling and registration work queues according to performance standards. Ability to resolve work queue issues and missing registration items via electronic medical record.
- Disseminates or discusses information with the patients regarding co-pays, out of pocket expenses, pre-appointment preparation, arrival times, etc.
- Understands and supports Point of Service Collections. Performs all necessary functions needed to collect patient financial obligations.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Additional clinical procedures including but not limited to: EKG, holter monitors, 24 hr Blood pressure or vital signs.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Completion of educational requirements (additional formal education/training; maximum supervision for initial competency; yearly competency evaluation and training).
- CPR certification within 6 months of hire. (Current employees have until 6/1/2016 to obtain CPR certification).
- One (1) year of clerical, customer service, or administrative support experience in a highly customer-oriented organization.
- One (1) year experience with basic keyboarding, personal computer use, and other office setting equipment.
- Previous phlebotomy or registration experience. Training will be provided upon hire.
- One (1) year of Epic (or equivalent Electronic Medical Record) experience.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 09/20/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.