Pharmacy Technician II (Full Time/Evening Shift)
LOCATION: Lancaster, PA
Hours: Full time, 40 hours a week or 1.0 FTE. Evenings, Rotating Weekends and Holidays, Hours are 2:30 PM to 11 PM
SIGN ON BONUS: Up to $1000.00 (Eligibility rules apply)
Under the direction and supervision of a registered pharmacist, the pharmacy technician performs various functions associated with the dispensing, charging and delivery of medication to patient care areas, in compliance with department policies and procedures that provide optimal pharmaceutical care.
LOCATION: Lancaster, PA
HOURS: Full time, 40 hours a week or 1.0 FTE. Evenings, Rotating Weekends and Holidays, Hours are 2:30 PM to 11 PM
SIGN ON BONUS: Up to $1000.00 (Eligibility rules apply)
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Demonstrates a thorough understanding of and compliance with procedures for handling controlled substances and specialty
- pharmaceuticals including investigational agents.
- Demonstrates skills in the maintenance and operation of various automation systems including packaging, dispensing cabinets, and compounding equipment.
- Prepares medications for dispensing under the supervision of the pharmacist, demonstrating accuracy, precision, and consistency relating to selection, packaging, and labeling functions
- Transports medications, drug-delivery devices, ad other pharmacy equipment as required, to all patient care areas of the hospital, which includes delivery to automated dispensing technology.
- Prepare inventories (affix barcode/warning labels as necessary), order drugs and supplies from the storeroom; receive drugs and stock shelves/carousels in various pharmacy locations with new and returned inventory.
- Answers telephone using appropriate etiquette, screens and triages telephone/window inquiries.
- Assures work for each shift is completed prior to departure.
- Efficiently utilizes various pharmacy automation systems including robotic packaging, automated storage and retrieval systems,
- decentralized unit-based cabinets, and compounding equipment
- Demonstrates the ability to accurately compound sterile products using proper aseptic technique
- Maintains dispensing area and medication storeroom in a neat, orderly, and clean condition as observed by the pharmacist
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Demonstrates proficiency in resolution of missing dose problems including investigation, replacement of doses and corrective action to prevent future missing doses
- Serve as a training resource for new technicians and assist in evaluating their progress as directed
- Assists in maintaining proper inventory and control of drugs and supplies purchased by the pharmacy
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or successful completion of general educational development (GED) exam required.
- A health care provider in good standing with Medicare, Medicaid, and other federal and state health insurance programs, i.e., not excluded from participation in Medicare, Medicaid or any other federal or state health insurance program.
- Completion of ASHP accredited (or comparable) pharmacy technician training program preferred.
- Hospital Pharmacy Practice
- National pharmacy technician certification (CPhT) required within nine (9) months of hire.
Attention/Concentration: The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus on certain aspects of current experience and reject others.
The position requires the ability to attend to a specific stimulus without being distracted by extraneous environmental stimuli. The individual must be able to attend to environmental detail with the ability to separate essential from non-essential or irrelevant stimuli. The attention skills required are generally considered to be automatic - - passive, but focused with an intact capacity for select perception.
New Learning and Memory: The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to learn and retain material.
Job demands are only moderately routine and predictable. Minor changes may occur which require the individual to be able to understand and carry out detailed but uninvolved instructions.
Problem Solving, Reasoning and Creative Thinking: The following level of ability that is essential for the jobholder to think (in order to solve a problem) by combining two or more elements from past experience or imaginative thought.
The requirement for autonomous problem solving or creativity of thought in the position is minimal. Problems encountered tend to involve a few concrete variables in or from standardized situations. Typically involves adhering to a chart or set procedure.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act.
Repetitive work: Ability to continuously perform the same type of work for extended periods of time, according to set procedures, sequence or pace.
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies, Prepacker, Dispensing Cabinets, Flow Hoods
Software: Microsoft Office Products, EPIC, Micromedix, Dispensing Cabinet Software
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Occasinally
- Stand: Continuously
- Walk: Frequently
- Bend: Occasionally
- Push: Frequently
- Pull: Frequently
- Kneel/Squat: Occasionally
- Reach: Frequently
- Twist: Occasionally
- Balance: Rarely
- Climb: Rarely
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is: Moderate, exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Position involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
- Bio hazardous Waste
- Blood borne Pathogens
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 08/26/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.