Pharmacy Resident PGY1 (FT/Varied)
PGY1 Residency Position - Requirements outlined during interview process.
Residents will do 1 major holiday and 1 minor holiday. Staffing is every 3rd weekend and 1 evening every 3 weeks.
Job Title: Pharmacy Resident PGY1(FT/varied)
This position is located in Lancaster, PA
Full-time, 1.0 This is a one year temporary position beginning June 12, 2020 through June 30, 2024. Hours per pharmacy residency requiremends predominantly days with one evening every three weeks, two holidays per year.
The post-graduate year 1 (PGY-1) pharmacy residency is a one year period of transition from a student to independent practitioner. The residency experience is designed to accelerate approximately 3 years of experience into one residency year. In addition to the other functions listed below, the resident is expected to achieve at least 80% of the goals of the PGY1 Pharmacy Residency Program and achieve satisfactory progress on any remaining goals. The objectives are related to the required six outcomes associated with the PGY1 residency standard. Upon completion of Lancaster General Health’s PGY-1 residency program, the resident will be a confident, multi-faceted, acute care pharmacist prepared for independent practice, advanced training, leadership and teaching opportunities.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Interpret and evaluate all medication regimens and assures safe and effective medication use prospectively during rotation-based patient care activities and retrospectively with order clarification during the order entry process.
- Utilize medical informatics to make decisions and reduce error. Respond to drug information requests as required.
- Advise healthcare providers regarding the contents, therapeutic actions, utilization and possible adverse reactions or interactions of medication.
- Design and recommend safe and effective evidence-based therapeutic regimens and associated monitoring plans to all applicable healthcare providers. Ensure avoidance of events which may cause patient harm.
- Serve as a role model of customer service by responding constructively to the needs of hospital staff. Responding constructively is defined as using a respectful communication style that is consistent with professional collaboration.
- Actively participate in medication safety programs including reporting errors and adverse drug events and documentation of pharmacist interventions.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Prepare and dispense medications (including but not limited to narcotics, other controlled substances, high-risk medications, and dangerous drugs) in accordance with professional practice guidelines, state pharmacy laws, and regulatory standards in addition to departmental policies and procedures.
- Develop and present a medication-use evaluation to the appropriate committee(s), and revise an existing or construct a new departmental policy and procedure under the direction of the Residency Program Director or designee.
- Develop, conduct, summarize, and present a major residency project related to an investigation of pharmacy practice.
- Mentor pharmacy students in applicable educational experiential training programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Pharmacist degree (e.g. Doctor of Pharmacy, B.S.) from an accredited College of Pharmacy.
- Eligible for licensure (or eligible to reciprocate) in the State of Pennsylvania with requirements per the Board of Pharmacy-Pharmacist application checklist.
- A health care provider in good standing with Medicare, Medicaid, and other federal and state health insurance programs, i.e. not excluded from participation in Medicare, Medicaid or any other federal or state health insurance program.
- Previous experience in hospital-based practice as a pharmacy intern/technician.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 01/04/2023
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.