Perioperative Services Clinical Educator
At Lancaster General Health, our culture is what sets us apart and creates a lasting impression of our health system in the community and in the hearts of our patients and their families. A role with us is more than just a job, we ask that you Live Your Legacy at LGH by finding your passion in your everyday role, committing to those you serve, and reaching for your personal best.
We are recognized as 1 of only 9 hospitals in the entire country with awards in Medicare.Gov, LEAPFROG and Healthgrades Americas 50 Best Hospitals. We have attained five year Magnet ® recognition status for the fifth time with the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center (ANCC) and we are the 2018 recipient of the Foster G. McGaw Prize in recognition of the commitment to community service.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers a comprehensive benefits package:
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program so that our employees can stay actively engaged and committed to living their legacy every day. Together, we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Join us and be part of a team that empowers you to do more than your job and encourages you to:
Live Your Passion. Live Your Best. Live Your Commitment. Live Your Legacy.
See job description 45045
Position is located in Lancaster, PA.
HOURS: Fulltime, primarily Mon-Fri dayshift with hours between 7:00am - 5:00pm. Rare weekend, holiday or off shift hours may be required.
ATTENTION: Please be aware that, if you are an external applicant, you may need to complete an online assessment as part of the hiring process. This assessment will be sent to the e-mail address that you included in your application. Please note: Some e-mail accounts may receive the assessment e-mail in their junk/spam e-mail. This assessment must be completed within 5 days of receiving it. For more information regarding the assessment, please click HERE.
SUMMARY: Provides comprehensive educational services, consultation, and continuing education for personnel in intraoperative, intraprocedural, perianesthesia, and other perioperative roles at Lancaster General Hospital, Women and Babies Hospital, the Suburban Pavilion and other assigned locations. These roles include but are not limited to:
- Perianesthesia: Preoperative, Posteroperative, Post anesthesia care, Preprocedural, Postprocedural
- Intraoperative: Circulator role, Back table scrub role, Assistant scrub role
- Intraprocedural: Circulator role, Scrub role
- Pain management: RN, including sedation management, LPN, CMA, CSS, CM
- Ancillary Staff: Surgical support assistants, Anesthesia technicians, Patient care assistants
- Sterile Processing Staff: Transporter, Technician, Resource/Team Lead, Shift Lead, Educator/Tracking System Admin
FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Provides instruction in clinical settings/work area through teaching, mentoring, coaching and advising. Serves as a resource to various departments, groups, individuals, and entities within the organization. Facilitates monthly and PRN education opportunity for intraoperative staff. Facilitates education opportunities for perianesthesia, endoscopy, sterile management, and pain management staff. Enters all perioperative education records into Knowledge Link
- Develop and maintain oversight of the department’s orientation program both at the Department and unit level. Fulfills the role of administrator and facilitator of the AORN Periop101 program. Spends time co-circulating or co-scrubbing with intraoperative orientees. Provides at the elbow support to direct clinical care providers in the perianesthesia environment.
- Develops and delivers curriculum using knowledge of adult learning theories to enhance the experience of the participant.
- Facilitates the competency development process, coaching employees on an as-needed basis; maintains appropriate employee educational records. Provide department specific validator training. Serve as competency validator.
- Solicits feedback from constituents regarding effectiveness of learning experience and behavioral outcomes after the learning experience. Evaluates feedback and adjusts content and /or adapts presentation style of class as appropriate.
- Performs frequent environmental scan of assigned units/work areas and recommends educational programming opportunities (new classes, content, experiences, etc) to meet the needs of employees. Seeks the customer’s input and needs by staying aware of and knowledgeable about technical and organizational changes.
- Collaborates with stakeholders to determine educational needs/competencies related to department specific PI. Collaborates with surgical, procedural, and anesthesia leadership.
- Develops appropriate communication methods inside and outside the department to address issues, provide follow-up, negotiate, and evaluate organizational issues.
- Identifies opportunities for personal development, methods to achieve this end, shares knowledge with peers and colleagues, and is current with trends in areas of responsibility.
- Collaborate with other education and organization staff to provide seamless educational services including formal courses, consultation, orientation, clinical ladder portfolio assistance, and individual coaching.
- Participates in activities related to safety, quality, and regulatory requirements of a procedural/surgical environment. Serves as a subject matter expert and develops orientation, education, and competencies related to safety, quality, and regulatory needs.
- RN licensure, issued by the PA Board of Nursing, with Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) or higher level nursing degree is required; OR Graduate of an accredited surgical technologist program with Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences (BSHS), Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Administration (BSHA), or higher level healthcare degree is required.
- Five (5) years of professional clinical experience in the Perioperative or Perianesthesia Nursing setting is required.
- Two (2) years of application toward adult learning in an informal setting is required.
- Master of Science degree in related field is preferred.
- Two (2) years of formal classroom teaching is preferred.
- Two (2) years developing educational activities is preferred.
- CNOR (Certified Nurse Operating Room) or CPAN (Certified Post-Anesthesia Nurse) or CAPA (Certified Perianesthesia Nurse) for RNs in the educator role; OR CST (Certified Surgical Technologist) for Surgical Technologists in the educator role is preferred.
- Demonstrates evidence of ongoing continuing education and professional development relative to the perioperative clinical educator role is preferred.
- Experiences in multiple functions within an organization is preferred.
Benefits of Joining Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health:
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH combines a Nationally Ranked Hospital with great schools, safe neighborhoods, affordable housing, local community events and festivals as well as a wealth of cultural and recreational activities. The scenic Susquehanna River Valley provides opportunities for fishing, skiing, kayaking, hiking and mountain biking in addition to easy access to NJ shoreline or Delaware beaches. Urban life is easily accessible, with New York, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. a train ride away. Local universities, Fulton Theatre, the downtown shopping and dining district and local sports teams make Lancaster a great place to Live, Work and Play.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.
Posted on 12/06/2021