Perioperative Assistant Nurse Manager/sign-on bonus up to $15,000
1.0 FTE working 40 hours per week. Working at the Lancaster General Hospital Ambulatory Surgical Facility. Responsibilities include overseeing the daily operations of Surgery Center including the Preop, Postop, PACU, and six Operating Rooms.
Under the direction of the Nurse Manager, the Assistant Nurse Manager assesses, plans, implements and evaluates the delivery of patient care, and provides input into the development and evaluation of patient care. Patient care/customer service includes care/service to patients/customers in the following age groups: neonatal (birth to 30 days), pediatric (30 days through 12 years), adolescent (13 through 18 years), adult (19 through 64 years), and geriatric (65 years and above).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Oversees nursing activities related to patient care and assists in setting standards for accurate reporting and recording of patient symptoms, reactions and progress.
- Organizes patient care and ensures continuity of care based on knowledge of clinical nursing needs of patients.
- Collects objective data with regard to the clinical performance, attitude and self-development of each staff member.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- In collaboration with the Nurse Manager, counsels employees and takes appropriate disciplinary action for infractions of policy.
- Reviews patient records to assure that the patient plan of care, nursing intervention and evaluation of care are documented accurately and appropriately.
- Utilizes and promotes knowledge of quality assurance standards and programs.
- Completes unit schedule, providing appropriate coverage around the clock.
- Communicates and collaborates with physicians, registered nurses, Nurse Manager and other health care providers regarding patient care. Acts as a liaison between patient, family, staff members and physicians.
- In the absence of the Nurse Manager, interviews and contributes to the selection of staff for the patient care unit.
- Serves as a clinical resource person and assists nursing personnel in assessing patient/family status to plan of nursing care.
- Assists Nurse Manager in evaluating and setting standards for facilities and equipment, and monitoring utilization of equipment and supplies.
- Provides input and standards in formulating patient care policy and procedures for the nursing department and the organization; works with the medical staff to coordinate medical and nursing management of patient care.
- Assists in providing for the professional growth and development of the nursing staff by allotting time for the scheduling of patient care and unit conferences and in-service attendance.
- Assists the Nurse Manager in the preparation and control of unit budgets.
- Communicates regularly with the Nurse Manager with regard to the progress of daily activities, specific patient concerns or events requiring administrative assistance.
- Assumes role of patient advocate.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Current licensure as a Registered Professional Nurse is required, issued by the PA State Board of Nursing.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) or higher level nursing degree is required.
- Three (3) years of clinical experience in related clinical field.
- One (1) year of leadership experience.
- A health care provider in good standing with Medicare, Medicaid, and other federal and state health insurance programs, i.e. not excluded from participation in Medicare, Medicaid or any other federal or state health insurance program.
- Five (5) years of clinical experience.
- Three (3) years of leadership or management experience.
ATTENTION/CONCENTRATION – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus on certain aspects of current experience and reject others:
The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
NEW LEARNING AND MEMORY – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to learn and retain material:
A large portion of this position required reliance on verbal memory and new learning. Efficiency in processing of verbal information, either in written or spoken form, is a major requirement and prerequisite of the job. The individual must be able to attend to and process multiple bits of information simultaneously. The individual must be able to organize and categorize this information effectively so that later recall is feasible.
PROBLEM SOLVING, REASONING AND CREATIVE THINKING – The following level of ability that is essential for the jobholder to think (in order to solve a problem) by combining two or more elements from past experience or imaginative thought:
The position required much autonomy of thought and problem solving. The individual must be able to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to define problems. The individual must be able to think abstractly, which is manifested in the ability to form concepts, use categories, generalize from single instances, apply procedural rules and general principles, and be aware of subtle or intrinsic aspects of a problem. The development of hypothesis and potential solutions to problems involves careful interpretation, analysis and diagnosis. The individual must be able to collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. The individual must be able to think creatively with a degree of inventiveness, experimentation and intuition. They must be able to deal with a variety of concrete and abstract variables.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Leadership, control and planning: Ability to accept responsibility for leadership, direction, control, planning, negotiating, organizing, directing, supervising, formulating practices, or making final decisions.
Creativity, feelings or ideas: Ability to adapt to situations involving the interpretation of feelings, ideas, or facts in terms of personal viewpoint; to use creativity, self-expression, or imagination.
Influencing others: Ability to influence people in their opinions, attitudes or judgments about ideas or things; to motivate, convince or negotiate.
Working within tolerances, set limits or standards: Ability to adapt to situations requiring the precise attainment of set limits, tolerances, or standards; to be precise, thorough, exacting, or meticulous in regard to material worked; or in activities such as numerical determinations, record preparation, or inspecting.
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Planning and control: Ability to identify task requirements and monitor progress toward accomplishment.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: telephone, computer, PCA pump, CPM machine, AVIs, suction machine, specialty beds, sequential pump, and/or other unit specific machinery, traction, office supplies
Software: word processing, spreadsheet, clinical information system
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Occasionally
- Stand: Frequently
- Walk: Frequently
- Bend: Rarely
- Push: Occasionally
- Pull: Occasionally
- Kneel/Squat: Rarely
- Reach: Rarely
- Twist: Rarely
- Balance: Rarely
- Climb: Rarely
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is: Heavy, exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Position involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
- Bio hazardous Waste
- Blood borne Pathogens
- Extreme Noise Levels
- Radioactive Agents
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 06/22/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.