Perinatal Safety Nurse/sign-on bonus up to $15,000
Business hours with flexibility for meeting times. 40 hours each week. No on call required for this position.
Design and coordinate programs that improve Women’s and Children’s patient population care delivery including all services across the continuum of care that support a population health approach. Ensure that current clinical practice is consistent with standards and evidence-based practice, develop education to change clinical practice to meet national standards, recommend changes to systems of care and individual staff performance, based upon analysis of current practice and outcomes. Assume responsibility and accountability as defined by the American Nurses Association standards of nursing practice.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Incorporates the LGHealth/ Penn Medicine mission, vision and values into daily activities and interactions with the multidisciplinary team.
- In collaboration with nursing leadership, fosters a culture of safety, championing the goals of safety initiatives, providing real time review of patient care in meeting the patient safety goals in the Obstetrical patient population.
- Participate in the development and implementation of Women and Children’s patient population goals consistent with those of the service line and health system by managing the rolling assessment of care provision.
- Facilitate performance improvement activities directed at process, clinical outcomes, and clinical practice improvements. Coordinates these activities with interdisciplinary staff members and care management.
- Provides oversight of the Perinatal Core Measures and other quality metrics relevant to the Women and Children’s patient population.
- Provide support to the creation and establishment of standardized responses to critical patient situations.
- Able to assess the provision of patient care provided throughout the patient population and able to assist with the development of standard work as it relates to high risk patient quality needs.
- Collaborates with nursing personnel and other health care providers to identify needed changes in equipment or products based on the evidence, clinical outcomes, and cost effectiveness.
- Provide concurrent and retrospective review and analysis of services and outcomes for designated patient populations.
- Partner with key stakeholders to maintain various certifications or distinctions valuable to the organization goals.
- Act as a mentor or coach with frontline staff on Lean management system thinking and problem solving.
- Attend the patient population care management team meetings and support the Clinical Effectiveness Committee work with process improvement leadership.
- Support root cause analysis action planning.
- Educate key stakeholders regarding quality metrics, and governing body guidelines/recommendations.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Lead process improvement activities with an emphasis on increasing continuity in the nurse to patient relationship, minimizing rework and redundancies; consistently seeks ways to improve processes, increase efficiency, finds solutions to current situations or develops new methods and procedures.
- Promote a safe working environment through compliance with established evidence-based practice policies and procedures and timely reporting of safety variances.
- Projects pride in his/her work as exhibited in day-to-day interactions with staff, coworkers, patients and all those they come in contact with.
- Seeks experiences and formal and independent learning activities to maintain and develop clinical and professional skills and knowledge.
- Provides supervision, including guidance, counseling and mentoring, to targeted peers and subordinates to enhance the learning experiences and improve the professional practice environment within the designated work setting.
- Participates in the employee performance process related to peers and subordinate team members; address employee problems, complaints, disputes or requests as the first level of supervision; evaluates their performance post hire.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Current RN licensure is required, issued by the PA Board of Nursing
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) required
- Master’s degree and specialty certification preferred in inpatient obstetrics within three (3) years.
- Five (5) years of clinical experience in women’s health and children’s patient population.
- Knowledge of national standards and guidelines and the principles and practice of safety science
- Quality management experience.
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects/priorities successfully
- Communication skills and ability to work collaboratively with leadership and staff to achieve safety initiatives
- Contemporary knowledge of process improvement techniques and tools including Lean methodology, statistical processes and data analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to lead change and effectively translate strategy into tangible action plans and drive results.
- Masters of Science in Nursing (MSN) preferred.
- Three to Five (3-5) years of experience in continuous improvement utilizing Lean techniques and tools- Black belt level
- Quality certification preferred.
Attention/Concentration: The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus on certain aspects of current experience and reject others:
- The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
New Learning and Memory: The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to learn and retain material:
- A large portion of this position required reliance on verbal memory and new learning. Efficiency in processing of verbal information, either in written or spoken form, is a major requirement and prerequisite of the job. The individual must be able to attend to and process multiple bits of information simultaneously. The individual must be able to organize and categorize this information effectively so that later recall is feasible.
Problem Solving, Reasoning and Creative Thinking: The following level of ability that is essential for the jobholder to think (in order to solve a problem) by combining two or more elements from past experience or imaginative thought:
- The position requires much autonomy of thought and problem solving. The individual must be able to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to define problems. The individual must be able to think abstractly, which is manifested in the ability to form concepts, use categories, generalize from single instances, apply procedural rules and general principles, and be aware of subtle or intrinsic aspects of a problem. The development of hypothesis and potential solutions to problems involves careful interpretation, analysis and diagnosis. The individual must be able to collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. The individual must be able to think creatively with a degree of inventiveness, experimentation and intuition. They must be able to deal with a variety of concrete and abstract variables.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Leadership, control and planning: Ability to accept responsibility for leadership, direction, control, planning, negotiating, organizing, directing, supervising, formulating practices, or making final decisions.
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies, Medical Equipment
Software: Microsoft Office Products, Electronic Medical Record
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Occasionally
- Stand: Frequently
- Walk: Frequently
- Bend: Occasionally
- Push: Frequently
- Pull: Seldom
- Kneel/Squat: Seldom
- Reach: Occasionally
- Twist: Occasionally
- Balance: Rarely
- Climb: Rarely
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is:
Moderate, exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Position involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
- Bio hazardous Waste
- Blood borne Pathogens
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 06/22/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.