Patient Representative (Full Time/ Day Shift)
Monday- Friday without Holiday or Weekend requirements. Combination of on-site and remote work available.
POSITION SUMMARY: Serve as a liaison between patient and LG Health system staff. Assist patients with their concerns and grievances. Assist patients by obtaining solutions to their problems and concerns with their care. Assist staff in gaining awareness of patients’ perceptions of their experiences in the healthcare setting.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Serve as designated liaison/representative between patients and the LGHealth system administration and departments.
- Identify and assess problems that arise; investigate and direct inquiries and complaints to appropriate staff members and act as intermediary to LG Health administration on behalf of patients and their families.
- Review medical records to evaluate the concerns of the patient and partner with team for clinical review of medical records to assess standards of care and breaches from practice guidelines.
- Interpret and explain to patients and their families the policies and procedures of the hospital and health system.
- Advise and counsel managers and directors about the concerns expressed by patients.
- Assess complaints to evaluate adjustments of bills of service and reimbursements to patients.
- Advise, counsel, and interact with staff about the concerns expressed by patients, while assisting the staff with being sensitive to the patients’ individual human needs while in the healthcare system by producing orientation and training programs.
- Maintain patient rights and assess issues that may have breached these rights.
- Adhere to and monitor regulatory requirements from Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services on notification of patients and families on follow up of complaints and grievances.
- Provides/facilitates education and training on Customer Service, Grievance/complaint process and regulations and Service recovery across the organization to assist with departments to meet their goals and customer service outcomes.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with leaders and staff at all levels with the organization to support daily continuous improvement and the compliance with timely complaint and grievance resolution.
- Function as part of the mechanism for investigating patient-care complaints that may involve the health system or medical staff.
- Encourage understanding and adherence, by staff and patients, to the hospital and system’s policies concerning patients’ rights and responsibilities.
- Participate in assessment of responses to incidents that, if not receiving a proper response, could provoke a serious controversy or legal problem.
- Follow up on referrals from administrative and quality assurance personnel regarding the patients’ perception of incidents in which they have sustained injury during hospitalization.
- Patient/department rounding as part of a proactive approach to Service Recovery and to enhance the patient experience.
- Maintain established hospital and system policies, procedures, and objectives concerning quality assurance, safety, environmental and infection control. Participate in hospital’s risk management program.
- Collect information about patient-care problems and present the data to appropriate departments and service personnel for the purpose of improving hospital policies, services, and procedures.
- Prepare and present an annual report to the Board of Trustees.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Participate in system’s public relations programs as per request. May represent hospital in social and public functions.
- Maintain required records, reports, statistics.
- Attend administrative and departmental meetings as appropriate, and participate in various committees as directed.
- Maintain professional growth and development through educational programs, seminars, etc.
- Perform other duties as needed or directed.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor's Degree in Communications or Social Sciences or a Registered Nurse.
- Five (5) years of experience in a hospital or healthcare setting
- Knowledge of patient care and patient concerns
- Excellent human relations and oral and written communication skills
- Excellent counseling skills to diffuse difficult interactions
- RN license, issued by the PA Board of Nursing.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 09/19/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.