Lancaster General Hospital
9060 Quality Improvement
This position is located in Lancaster, Pa
POSITION SUMMARY: Serve as a liaison between patient and LG Health system staff. Assist patients with their concerns and grievances. Assist patients by obtaining solutions to their problems and concerns with their care. Assist staff in gaining awareness of patients’ perceptions of their experiences in the healthcare setting.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Serve as designated liaison/representative between patients and the LGHealth system administration and departments.
- Identify and assess problems that arise; investigate and direct inquiries and complaints to appropriate staff members and act as intermediary to LG Health administration on behalf of patients and their families.
- Review medical records to evaluate the concerns of the patient and partner with team for clinical review of medical records to assess standards of care and breaches from practice guidelines.
- Interpret and explain to patients and their families the policies and procedures of the hospital and health system.
- Advise and counsel managers and directors about the concerns expressed by patients.
- Assess complaints to evaluate adjustments of bills of service and reimbursements to patients.
- Advise, counsel, and interact with staff about the concerns expressed by patients, while assisting the staff with being sensitive to the patients’ individual human needs while in the healthcare system by producing orientation and training programs.
- Maintain patient rights and assess issues that may have breached these rights.
- Adhere to and monitor regulatory requirements from Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services on notification of patients and families on follow up of complaints and grievances.
- Provides/facilitates education and training on Customer Service, Grievance/complaint process and regulations and Service recovery across the organization to assist with departments to meet their goals and customer service outcomes.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with leaders and staff at all levels with the organization to support daily continuous improvement and the compliance with timely complaint and grievance resolution.
- Function as part of the mechanism for investigating patient-care complaints that may involve the health system or medical staff.
- Encourage understanding and adherence, by staff and patients, to the hospital and system’s policies concerning patients’ rights and responsibilities.
- Participate in assessment of responses to incidents that, if not receiving a proper response, could provoke a serious controversy or legal problem.
- Follow up on referrals from administrative and quality assurance personnel regarding the patients’ perception of incidents in which they have sustained injury during hospitalization.
- Patient/department rounding as part of a proactive approach to Service Recovery and to enhance the patient experience.
- Maintain established hospital and system policies, procedures, and objectives concerning quality assurance, safety, environmental and infection control. Participate in hospital’s risk management program.
- Collect information about patient-care problems and present the data to appropriate departments and service personnel for the purpose of improving hospital policies, services, and procedures.
- Prepare and present an annual report to the Board of Trustees.
- Participate in system’s public relations programs as per request. May represent hospital in social and public functions.
- Maintain required records, reports, statistics.
- Attend administrative and departmental meetings as appropriate, and participate in various committees as directed.
- Maintain professional growth and development through educational programs, seminars, etc.
- Perform other duties as needed or directed.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor's Degree in Communications or Social Sciences or a Registered Nurse.
- Five (5) years of experience in a hospital or healthcare setting
- Knowledge of patient care and patient concerns
- Excellent human relations and oral and written communication skills
- Excellent counseling skills to diffuse difficult interactions
Posted on 07/23/2020
- RN license, issued by the PA Board of Nursing.