Patient Care Host-Hostess (Full-Time)
Lancaster General Hospital
1020 Food Service - General
Food Service - Patient Care
POSITION SUMMARY: Under the supervision of the Director of Food Services, the Patient Care Host/Hostess provides personalized meal service to patients. Meal service includes assisting patients with meal selections, serving meals to patients, preparing food, monitoring patient intakes, clearing and cleaning patient dishware. Duties may include stocking pantries.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Successful completion of a Patient Care Host/Hostess training program.
- Assures that meal selections meet guidelines for modified diets per diet manual.
- Works directly with patients in selecting meals and communicates those selections to the production staff.
- Calculates, prepares, and serves between meal feedings and nutritional supplements and tube feedings as ordered.
- Maintains accurate written and oral communication with other patient care team members, and assists them as time allows and the need arises. This includes monitoring and recording patient intake and communicating this data to the dietician and/or nursing staff as needed. May also include responsibility for completion of calorie counts.
- Obtains current diet list of patients from the hospital computer prior to each meal period and maintains accurate patient diet information according to department procedure(s).
- Assists in assembly of meals and serves the meal to the patient.
- Collects dishware following meal service, transports dishware to dish room and assists in clean up.
- Stocks patient and/or provider pantries with supplies according to set standards and ensures proper labeling, dating and rotation of all stock.
- May produce cold foods such as salads and sandwiches as requested and may prepares all foods associated with them.
- Maintains exemplary customer service at all times to create quality outcomes.
- Communicates any problems, concerns, or potential issues to appropriate personnel in a timely manner.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED).
- One (1) year of experience working directly with customers
- Six (6) months experience working with computers or computerized equipment.
- One (1) year of experience working directly with customers, clients or patients in institutional food service or health care.
- The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
New Learning and Memory:
- The position requires that an individual be able to learn new tasks quickly and effectively. Job requirements change frequently. The ability to understand and carry out detailed, involved instructions is mandatory.
Problem Solving, Reasoning and Creative Thinking:
- The requirement for autonomous problem solving or creativity of thought in the position is minimal. Problems encountered tend to involve a few concrete variables in or from standardized situations. Typically involves adhering to a chart or set procedure.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Repetitive work: Ability to continuously perform the same type of work for extended periods of time, according to set procedures, sequence or pace.
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Includes some or all of the following: blender, toaster, coffee machine, dish machine, food processor, carts, knives, kitchen utensils, office products, thermometers, microwave, steam table, auto baggers and mobile food warmers.
Software: Microsoft Outlook
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Occasionally
- Stand: Continuously
- Walk: Continuously
- Bend: Frequently
- Push: Frequently
- Pull: Rarely
- Kneel/Squat: Rarely
- Reach: Occasionally
- Twist: Rarely
- Balance: Continuously
- Climb: Rarely
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is:
- Heavy, exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Position involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
- Bio hazardous Waste
- Blood borne Pathogens
- Extreme Noise Levels
- Extreme Temperatures
- Exposed Electrical Lines
- High Pressure Steam/Gas
- Moving/Rotating Machinery
- Radioactive Agents
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
Posted on 06/01/2020