Pathology Opportunity - Clinical Chemist
POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible for the leadership, supervision, direction, and integration of Laboratory testing in the area of Clinical Chemistry, Toxicology and Point of Care Testing. Guide laboratory staff, physicians, nurses and other clinicians who are involved in interpretation or selection of laboratory tests and results. Participate in education and teaching programs and assist in the review of the quality, adequacy and appropriateness of services within the department.The Department of Pathology at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Hospital (Lancaster, PA) is is seeking a qualified PhD or BE/BC MD/DO to join an expanding group of 8 pathologists.
Lancaster General Hospital is among an elite group of "Best of the Benchmark Hospitals"- institutions that have achieved 100 Top Hospital honors for seven of the last nine years. The hospital has been recognized as a Magnet facility for nursing excellence and has received HealthGrades® Distinguished Hospital Award for Patient Safety. Lancaster General Hospital has also been named a "Best Hospital" by U.S. News & World Report for heart surgery, orthopedics, urology, hormonal disorders and ear, nose & throat. LG lab is state of the art, ISO accredited and honored as the 2019 MLO Lab of the year.
PATHOLOGY TEAM: The Pathology department currently consists of 8 pathologists with various subspecialty fellowships including transfusion medicine, hematopathology, cytology, breast/GYN, immunology and dermatopathology. The clinical laboratory runs approximately 2.5 million tests annularly and consist of a wide range of tests. We seek a candidate with good communication and relational skills who can bring additional breadth and strength to our group. The candidate can be either BE/BC AP/CP or CP only pathologist or a well-qualified PhD with appropriate chemistry certification. Additional training in molecular pathology is desirable as we are working to create a molecular pathology program in house.
THE HEALTH CARE SYSTEM: Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health, a member of the University of Pennsylvania Health System (Penn Medicine), is a 631-licensed bed not-for-profit health system with a comprehensive network of care encompassing Lancaster General Hospital (LGH), Women & Babies Hospital and the Lancaster Rehabilitation Hospital (in partnership with Kindred Healthcare). Our membership in Penn Medicine brings together the strengths of a world-renowned, not-for-profit academic medical center and a nationally recognized, not-for-profit community healthcare system.
THE COMMUNITY: Lancaster County is a growing and dynamic community. Lancaster offers the unique blend of access to major East Coast cities while providing a family friendly environment with excellent schools and easy access to the shore and mountain areas. There are five institutions of higher learning in the area to meet the needs of you and your family. Baltimore, Washington DC, Philadelphia, and New York are just 1.5-3 hours away.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Collaborate with the Laboratory Medical Director and Department Chair of Pathology, LGH administrative team and the medical Division members to develop and implement aligned with the LG Health Mission, Vision and Strategic Plan.
- Facilitate the Diagnostic Committee agenda, activities and meetings. Researches, collaborates, and develops an ongoing project list for Diagnostics Committee review and approval.
- Assists the Laboratory Medical Director, executive leadership, and administrative team in operational leadership, including determination of resource needs and development of budgets.
- Ensure that the department operates within regulatory compliance and assists in maintenance of certifications and licensing standards, including, but not limited to CAP, CAP ISO15189, AABB, FDA, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, the Joint Commission, the Department of Health and the policies and procedures of LGH and the LGH Laboratory.
- Identify, direct, prioritize and oversee, in cooperation with the Department Chair, the clinical quality metrics, patient satisfaction, patient safety and risk management, transition of care for patients between care settings, disease management, clinical pathways and protocols, and resource utilization and efficiencies.
- Oversee the appropriate selection and implementation of clinical tests, laboratory instrumentation, and ongoing validation, correlation and quality control.
- Work with the Department Chair, Division members and other members of the healthcare team to continuously improve the quality, efficiency and effectiveness of the clinical care provided within LGH.
- Oversee Laboratory testing and results within a clinical lab setting and as it is used for all patient types within LG Health.
- Support the scholarly activities of both the department and LG Health including continuing education, and innovation and research activities.
- Provides laboratory representation to various medical and administrative committees as requested. Maintains a collaborative, professional working relationship with internal and external customers.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Chemical Safety Officer/general lab safety officer
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- PhD in Clinical / Biochemistry or related clinical science OR
- A health care provider in good standing with Medicare, Medicaid, and other federal and state health insurance programs, i.e. not excluded from participation in Medicare, Medicaid or any other federal or state health insurance program.
Posted on 11/01/2019
- Minimum of five (5) years of hospital experience.
- Lean/Six sigma or other performance improvement training.
- Member AACC (American Association of Clinical Chemists)
- Experience with Hospital and/or Laboratory Information Systems