Pacemaker Technician (Full Time, Days)
Monday - Friday, 0800-1630, no evenings, weekends, holidays, or call. 0.8FTE; 32 hrs/week
POSITION SUMMARY: The pacemaker technologist works collaboratively with the physicians and nurse practitioners to diagnose pacemaker and defibrillator (ICD) function and aid in the technical management of these devices.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Perform complete diagnostic pacemaker and ICD parameter testing which would include, but is not limited to, reprogramming device parameters as indicated by the physiologic status of the patient, patient progress and needs, device system history and analysis, and physician’s orders.
- Retrieve, analyze and report on device data posted to the device company websites for remote home monitoring testing.
- Assess the patient’s condition in relation to the pacemaker or ICD therapy programmed.
- Collect and analyze all available data from the pacemaker and ICD in regards to function and stored events/episodes since last device evaluation. Review data as needed with Device Company Technical Services and/or physicians.
- Provide information, follow-up reports and support services to physicians and nurse practitioners.
- Maintain accurate patient and device information in the patient’s medical and electronic health records.
- Provide educational and emotional support to patients and their families after device implant.
- Detect, identify and verify battery depletion or component malfunction in pacemaker or ICD’s, and recommend the appropriate monitoring or corrective action needed.
- Complete Cath Lab Intervention Forms with accurate information about present and past pacemaker or ICD systems for upcoming device system interventions.
- Participate in clinical research trials for implanted devices, not limited to pacemaker or ICD implants.
- Analyze Loop Recording Monitors (ILR’s) and pacemaker and ICD device function on holter monitor recordings.
- Stand in for Stress testing and make appropriate programming changes to meet end point objectives.
- Participate with Echo Department to perform AV Echo Optimization of device parameters and make appropriate programming changes to meet end point objectives.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Participates in the on-call responsibilities for this position as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
SPECIFIC EDUCATION, CERTIFICATION, AND LICENSURE:
- Completion of an established school of cardiovascular technology program and/ or High School diploma or equivalent (GED) and one year related experience and/or training required.
- CPR certified required.
- International Board of Heart Rhythm Examiners (IBHRE) “Examination of Special Competency in Cardiac Pacing for Allied Health Professionals” is preferred.
ESSENTIAL JOB-RELATED EXPERIENCE:
- A health care provider in good standing with Medicare, Medicaid, and other federal and state health insurance programs, i.e. not excluded from participation in Medicare, Medicaid or any other federal or state health insurance program.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to maintain confidentiality concerning sensitive patient information.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and analytical skills.
- Effective time management skills.
- Excellent clinical knowledge and skills.
- Requires prolonged standing, walking, some bending, stooping or stretching.
- Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to provide direct patient care and to operate office equipment.
- Requires normal range of eyesight and hearing for conversation, typing, reading, and telephone use.
- Ability to lift 50-75 pounds.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 10/24/2023
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.