Orthopedic Registrar - Lancaster General Hospital (40 hrs/week)
At Lancaster General Health, our culture is what sets us apart and creates a lasting impression of our health system in the community and in the hearts of our patients and their families. A role with us is more than just a job, we ask that you Live Your Legacy at LGH by finding your passion in your everyday role, committing to those you serve, and reaching for your personal best.
We are recognized as 1 of only 9 hospitals in the entire country with awards in Medicare.Gov, LEAPFROG and Healthgrades Americas 50 Best Hospitals. We have attained five year Magnet ® recognition status for the fifth time with the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center (ANCC) and we are the 2018 recipient of the Foster G. McGaw Prize in recognition of the commitment to community service.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers a comprehensive benefits package:
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program so that our employees can stay actively engaged and committed to living their legacy every day. Together, we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Join us and be part of a team that empowers you to do more than your job and encourages you to:
Live Your Passion. Live Your Best. Live Your Commitment. Live Your Legacy.
This position is located at Lancaster General Hospital. Full-time, 40 hrs/week, 7am-3:30pm. No weekend or on-call, but rare need to attend early evening meeting may occur.
Three orthopedic programs are certified with The Joint Commission for Disease Specific care (Hip Fracture, Knee Replacement, and Hip Replacement). We are also certified as a Premier level organization with the International Geriatric Fracture Society (IGFS) and nationally ranked in the top 50 of US News and World Report.
ATTENTION: Please be aware that, if you are an external applicant, you may need to complete an online assessment as part of the hiring process. This assessment will be sent to the e-mail address that you included in your application. Please note: Some e-mail accounts may receive the assessment e-mail in their junk/spam e-mail. This assessment must be completed within 5 days of receiving it. For more information regarding the assessment, please click HERE.
POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible for complete and accurate review of all orthopedic patient records, collecting data for the American Joint Replacement Registry (AJRR) and decision support in managing the care of the orthopedic patient. Maintains and protects the integrity of the Orthopedic Registry database including Epic ä and all appropriate interfaces, data management, data analysis, report writing, as well as statistical and graphical output of orthopedic data.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Performs concurrent in-house Orthopedic record abstraction and interprets the clinical data in the record for accurate entry into the Orthopedic database in a timely manner. Generates and analyzes concurrent data reports in response to Orthopedic Service requests or through self-directed processes. Maintains confidentiality and security of all patient data in the Orthopedic Registry.
- Conforms to AJRR requirements for Accredited Orthopedic Center participation in the national registry.
- Actively participates as a vital team member in concurrent and retrospective Orthopedic Service performance improvement initiatives by providing expertise with data retrieval and data manipulation from the Orthopedic registry system. Analyzes data and provides information ensuring that customer requirements are met by utilizing reports and graphics.
- Acts as system administrator for the Orthopedic Registry. Assures the integrity of the system with timely updates, enhancements, and system back-up. Is able to independently troubleshoot hardware and software system problems as they arise.
- Concurrently analyzes patient medical records according to established criteria to identify patients for inclusion in the Orthopedic Registry database. Accurately and efficiently identifies appropriate qualifiers and audit filters and assures timely submission of data via the electronic system to the AJRR. Maintains an accurate Orthopedic patient log.
- Functions as an important resource to plan, identify, trend, analyze, and integrate new data collection elements for use in orthopedic patient care management, performance improvement, statistical and research purposes. Proficient in report writing skills while utilizing orthopedic registry data.
- Attends and actively participates in required hospital education sessions. Participates on orthopedic-related committees.
- Interacts and communicates with other departments and staff within the organization as well as other health care providers and facilities. Must be able to verbalize data elements and provide analysis to physicians and health care providers.
- Participates in registrar inter-rater reliability reviews.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Prepares statistical, narrative and graphic representations of Orthopedic registry data for users of the registry.
- Prepares monthly and ad hoc reports to Orthopedic Administration.
- Prepares pull lists for special studies and audits.
- Assists and actively participates in site survey process.
- Assists in research projects in tandem with the Orthopedic Services team.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience with a database or registry
- Two (2) years experience as an Allied Health professional is essential.
- Working knowledge of ICD-9-CM and strong computer skills are essential.
- Typing skills and statistical abilities are essential.
- Excellent organizational skills are essential
- Excellent analytical, oral and written communication skills are essential
- Excellent interpersonal skills are essential
- Excellent planning, organizational and project management skills are essential
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), Registered Health Information Technologist (RHIT) or Registered Nurse (RN) or completion of certificate/degree in Allied Health profession
- Knowledge of quality care audit procedures
- Knowledge of access database
- Working knowledge of orthopedic medical field
- Experience with medical specialty clinical data registries
ATTENTION/CONCENTRATION – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus on certain aspects of current experience and reject others:
- The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
NEW LEARNING AND MEMORY – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to learn and retain material:
- A large portion of this position required reliance on verbal memory and new learning. Efficiency in processing of verbal information, either in written or spoken form, is a major requirement and prerequisite of the job. The individual must be able to attend to and process multiple bits of information simultaneously. The individual must be able to organize and categorize this information effectively so that later recall is feasible.
PROBLEM SOLVING, REASONING AND CREATIVE THINKING – The following level of ability that is essential for the jobholder to think (in order to solve a problem) by combining two or more elements from past experience or imaginative thought:
- The position required much autonomy of thought and problem solving. The individual must be able to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to define problems. The individual must be able to think abstractly, which is manifested in the ability to form concepts, use categories, generalize from single instances, apply procedural rules and general principles, and be aware of subtle or intrinsic aspects of a problem. The development of hypothesis and potential solutions to problems involves careful interpretation, analysis and diagnosis. The individual must be able to collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. The individual must be able to think creatively with a degree of inventiveness, experimentation and intuition. They must be able to deal with a variety of concrete and abstract variables.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies
Software: Microsoft Office Products, clinical information system
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Continuously
- Stand: Rarely
- Walk: Occasionally
- Bend: Rarely
- Push: Rarely
- Pull: Rarely
- Kneel/Squat: Rarely
- Reach: Rarely
- Twist: Rarely
- Balance: Rarely
- Climb: Rarely
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is:
Light, exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Exposure to hazardous conditions/ materials is negligible.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
Benefits of Joining Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health:
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH combines a Nationally Ranked Hospital with great schools, safe neighborhoods, affordable housing, local community events and festivals as well as a wealth of cultural and recreational activities. The scenic Susquehanna River Valley provides opportunities for fishing, skiing, kayaking, hiking and mountain biking in addition to easy access to NJ shoreline or Delaware beaches. Urban life is easily accessible, with New York, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. a train ride away. Local universities, Fulton Theatre, the downtown shopping and dining district and local sports teams make Lancaster a great place to Live, Work and Play.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.
Posted on 10/04/2021