Operator (LGH) (Part Time/ Evenings)
.6 FTE Replacement req. Hours: Weeks 1 and 3 - M, W, TH, F - 5:00p-9:00p, Sat 11:00a-7:30p
Weeks 2 and 4: Sun 11:00a-7:30p. Tu, W, TH, F- 5:00p-9:00p, and Various Holidays
Part Time: 24 hrs per week.
Weeks 1 and 3
M, W, TH, F - 5:00p-9:00p, Sat 11:00a-7:30p
Weeks 2 and 4:
Sun 11:00a-7:30p. Tu, W, TH, F- 5:00p-9:00p, and Various Holidays
This position is located in Lancaster, PA at LGH.
ATTENTION: Please be aware that, if you are an external applicant, you may need to complete an online assessment as part of the hiring process. This assessment will be sent to the e-mail address that you included in your application. Please note: Some e-mail accounts may receive the assessment e-mail in their junk/spam e-mail. This assessment must be completed within 5 days of receiving it. For more information regarding the assessment, please click HERE.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Switchboard Operator runs the telephone system console to facilitate communication. Promotes a positive image of Penn Medicine/Lancaster General Health and provides quality service to all customers. Responds to all emergency calls expeditiously and in a calm and courteous manner. Provides requested information to callers. Monitors and reports all alarms and communicates operational issues to appropriate departments and personnel in a timely, professional and accurate manner.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Responds to and appropriately routes all incoming calls, per switchboard departmental guidelines.
- Activates proper procedure for all alarms, codes, conditions and emergencies, and notifies appropriate personnel per departmental guidelines.
- Deciphers requests and provides requested information to all internal/external callers, collecting appropriate information and asking appropriate questions to correctly respond to the inquiry, or connect to the designated person to further handle the need.
- Pages on-call personnel and physicians as requested. Distributes new departmental pagers.
- Compiles LGH departmental on-call schedules and disseminates the 24-hour coverage to appropriate areas.
- Interviews customer to collect and document accurate and comprehensive information required for answering service calls and requests per departmental procedures. Opens an EPIC telephone encounter as needed.
- Establishes and maintains proficiency in EPIC for the purposes of opening encounters, patient look up, non-clinical chart review and appointment cancelations and rescheduling.
- Maintains and updates directory listings, including phone, fax, pager numbers and any other pertinent information in the online directory.
- Assists physicians and hospital personnel in placing of long-distance calls.
- Adapts to learning new skills in an ever-changing environment, including but not limited to procedural, staffing, and/or technology changes.
- Handles all pertinent medical practice answering service duties, including making sure providers are contacted in appropriate timeframes, for appropriate reasons and as set by guidelines.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Develops updated list of telephone numbers for executive staff, doctors, departmental personnel for emergencies or problem resolutions. Also, maintains a current list of all extensions, other hospitals and frequently called numbers.
- Trains and orients new employees for switchboard operator duties.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Previous customer service experience.
- One (1) to two (2) years computer experience.
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED).
- One (1) year of switchboard experience.
- Customer service experience in a healthcare environment.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 06/16/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.