Nursing Professional Development Practitioner-Nights
1.0 FTE 40 hours per week on nightshift covering Duke Street building, combination of 8s, 10s, and 12s available. No holidays. 2-3 weekends per year.
SUMMARY: Provides comprehensive professional development services, consultation, and continuing education for appropriate personnel.
Essential Functions: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Drives outcomes through the development, implementation and evaluation of educational programs that address opportunities for improvement in knowledge, skill, or practice.
- Supports transition to practice at all levels including maintaining accredited Nurse Residency Program.
- Provides instruction in clinical settings/work area through teaching, mentoring, coaching and advising.
- Develops and delivers curriculum using knowledge of adult learning theories to enhance the experience of the participant.
- Collaborate with other education and organization staff to provide seamless educational services including formal courses, consultation, orientation, and individual coaching.
- Meets with key representatives from the department on an as-needed basis to assess effectiveness of educational initiatives.
- Solicits feedback regarding effectiveness of learning experience and behavioral outcomes after the learning experience. Evaluates feedback and adjusts content and /or adapts presentation style of class as appropriate.
- Oversees delivery of a comprehensive orientation program to onboard newly hired staff within the nursing department at unit and department levels.
- Supports new hires to enhance recruitment and retention.
- Seeks the customer’s input and needs by staying aware of and knowledgeable about technical and organizational changes.
- Serves as a resource to various departments, groups, individuals, and entities within the organization.
- Contributes to systematic quality and safety initiatives based on precise problem identification, gap analysis, and/or process evaluation.
- Conducts unit and departmental learning needs assessments and develops educational opportunities to meet stakeholder needs and associated outcomes.
- Understands and collaborates on key departmental outcomes associated with consultation, education, coaching, and other significant activities.
- Has baseline understanding and competence in the development, implementation, and evaluation of evidence-based practices.
- Champions scientific inquiry by supporting nurses in designing, implementing, and evaluating practice change by utilizing research and evidence-based practice.
- Develops appropriate communication methods inside and outside the department to address issues, provide follow-up, negotiate, and evaluate organizational issues.
- Identifies opportunities for personal professional development and shares knowledge with peers and colleagues.
- Remains current with trends in areas of responsibility and overall Nursing Professional Development best practices as outlined by the Association for Nursing Professional Development (ANPD).
- Assists in development and management of nursing department competencies.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) or higher level nursing degree is required. Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) degree preferred OR required within 2.5 years of hire date.
- Current licensure as a Registered Professional Nurse, issued by the PA State Board of Nursing.
- Three (3) years of clinical or educational healthcare experience (in relevant specialty).
- Two (2) years of application toward adult learning in an informal setting.
- Master of Science degree in related field.
- Two (2) years of formal classroom teaching.
- Two (2) years developing educational activities.
- Certification in Nursing Professional Development (NPD-BC)
- Certification in relevant clinical unit(s) specialty.
- The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
New Learning and Memory:
- The position requires that an individual be able to learn new tasks quickly and effectively. Job requirements change frequently. The ability to understand and carry out detailed, involved instructions in mandatory.
Problem Solving, Reasoning and Creative Thinking:
- The position deals with issues or problems that often require thoughtful reasoning before arriving at approaches or solutions. Some independent thought, planning or origination of options and solutions is necessary. The individual must have the ability to apply principles of reasoning and problem solving to resolve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Leadership, control and planning: Ability to accept responsibility for leadership, direction, control, planning, negotiating, organizing, directing, supervising, formulating practices, or making final decisions.
Repetitive work: Ability to continuously perform the same type of work for extended periods of time, according to set procedures, sequence or pace.
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies, Projection Equipment, equipment for patient care
Software: Microsoft Office Products, Clinical Informatio Systems, Current training software
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Frequently
- Stand: Frequently
- Walk: Frequently
- Bend: Rarely
- Push: Occasionally
- Pull: Occasionally
- Kneel/Squat: Rarely
- Reach: Occasionally
- Twist: Rarely
- Balance: Rarely
- Climb: Rarely
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is: Moderate, exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Position involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
- Bio hazardous Waste
- Blood borne Pathogens
- Extreme Noise Levels
- Extreme Temperatures
- Exposed Electrical Lines
- High Pressure Steam/Gas
- Moving/Rotating Machinery
- Radioactive Agents
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 03/29/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.