Nurse Supervisor-Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery
Lancaster General Medical Grp
61275 Plastic Surgery
Plastic Surgery Administration
POSITION SUMMARY: Plans, organizes and supervises all clinical staff functions on a daily basis to ensure quality patient care is provided in a physician office or urgent care setting. Performs all nursing duties as needed. Patient care includes care to patients in the following age groups: pediatric (infant to 12 years), adolescent (13 to 17 years), adult (18 to 64 years), and geriatric (over 64 years).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Supervises and coordinates the daily functions of all clinical staff, providing guidance and assistance as necessary.
- Completes and maintains schedule for clinical staff ensuring adequate coverage is available at all times while effectively managing overtime. Ensures timely and accurate approval of all clinical staff time cards as assigned.
- Provides orientation, education and training for new employees. Provides and implements on-going continuing education and training for existing staff as needed and is responsible for ensuring all staff complete annual competencies within the designated timeframe. Plays an active role in the growth and development of staff.
- In collaboration with manager interviews and selects candidates for vacant positions.
- Serves as a patient experience advocate and leader by being a positive influence at all times in the handling of patient and employee issues. Communicates all LG Health policies, values, mission and vision with clarity and completeness. Communicates with all customers including providers, office staff, patients and fellow employees in a professional manner while keeping customer service a top priority.
- In collaboration with management, oversees all care coordination activities performed by the clinical staff in the team based care model. Assist in implementing, monitoring and actively participating in performance improvement initiatives to improve overall patient experience and quality of care.
- In collaboration with Practice Manager or Nurse Manager, completes annual performance evaluations for assigned staff. Coordinates coaching and/or disciplinary action in accordance with LG Health and practice policies.
- Conducts routine clinical staff meetings. Communicates with staff on a regular basis to keep them informed of any new information, processes or procedures. Meets one on one with staff at a minimum of once a quarter.
- Attends and actively participates in a variety of meetings including but not limited to practice staff meetings and Nurse Supervisor meetings.
- Provides clinical advice by phone/electronic correspondence based on clinical judgments and/or triage protocols in accordance with regulatory requirements and standards of practice. Consults with provider as necessary.
- Provides patient specific education including but not limited to preventive care, chronic disease management, acute diagnosis, medications and other areas pertinent to patient outcomes.
- Prepares patient for visit by using appropriate rooming standards tool.
- Administers injections and medications as prescribed by the provider and in accordance with department protocol, regulatory requirements and standards of practice.
- Prepares and assists providers with various procedures, minor surgeries and other exams as designated by the provider.
- Performs Point of Care Testing, patient monitoring and patient assessment at the request of the provider, including but not limited to telemetry monitoring, EKGs, IV therapy, medication delivery, breathing treatments, vision testing, hearing, flu, urine and strep tests.
- Collects blood or other laboratory specimens and prepares them for further testing.
- Authorizes prescription refills as instructed by the provider
- Assists with test tracking and monitoring overdue results.
- Removes sutures and changes dressings on wounds as necessary.
- Assures exam rooms are adequately supplied and cleaned after each patient visit. Maintains and cleans medical instruments and equipment after each procedure.
- Assists with reviewing and revising patient care plans in collaboration with provider and patient and assesses patient progress. Follows up with patient between visits as necessary.
- Assists with proactive outreach for patients requiring preventive and chronic disease services.
- Performs care coordination activities among specialists and transitions of care to obtain all necessary patient information.
- Assists in coordination of referrals, education and community resources.
- Participates in daily huddles with the provider.
- Handles all patient information in a confidential manner according to Lancaster General Health privacy and confidentiality policies and procedures.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Lead, promotes and actively participates in new practice initiatives and projects as outlined by practice leadership.
- Assists practice leadership in managing expenses within budgetary constraints. Orders medical and/or pharmaceutical supplies within budgetary allowances and inventory control
- Other duties as assigned by management.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Current licensure as a Registered Nurse (RN) issued by the PA State Board of Nursing.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of nursing experience.
- Urgent Care positions require BLS and ACLS certification.
- Prior supervisory experience in a physician office or urgent care setting.
- Urgent Care positions - PALS is preferred
- The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
New Learning and Memory:
- A large portion of this position required reliance on verbal memory and new learning. Efficiency in processing of verbal information, either in written or spoken form, is a major requirement and prerequisite of the job. The individual must be able to attend to and process multiple bits of information simultaneously. The individual must be able to organize and categorize this information effectively so that later recall is feasible.
Problem Solving, Reasoning and Creative Thinking:
- The position required much autonomy of thought and problem solving. The individual must be able to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to define problems. The individual must be able to think abstractly, which is manifested in the ability to form concepts, use categories, generalize from single instances, apply procedural rules and general principles, and be aware of subtle or intrinsic aspects of a problem. The development of hypothesis and potential solutions to problems involves careful interpretation, analysis and diagnosis. The individual must be able to collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. The individual must be able to think creatively with a degree of inventiveness, experimentation and intuition. They must be able to deal with a variety of concrete and abstract variables.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Leadership, control and planning: Ability to accept responsibility for leadership, direction, control, planning, negotiating, organizing, directing, supervising, formulating practices, or making final decisions.
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies, clinical supplies
Software: Microsoft Office Products, clinical information systems
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Occasionally
- Stand: Frequently
- Walk: Frequently
- Bend: Rarely
- Push: Rarrely
- Pull: Rarely
- Kneel/Squat: Rarely
- Reach: Occasionally
- Twist: Rarely
- Balance: Rarely
- Climb: Occasionally
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is:
Moderate, exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Position involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
- Bio hazardous Waste
- Blood borne Pathogens
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
Posted on 08/13/2019