Nurse Navigator - Stroke
Lancaster General Hospital
7260 SOP-Neuroscience Administration
SOP - Neuroscience Admin
HOURS: Fulltime, Primarily day shift, occasional weekends
POSITION SUMMARY: Accountable to provide clinical navigation for identified patients within the Penn Medicine LG Health system. Performs clinical and administrative functions to support the coordination of inpatient and/or outpatient care needs. Patient care includes care to patients in the following age groups: adult (19 through 64 years), and geriatric (65 years and above).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Demonstrates proficiency in applying nursing theories, evidence based nursing knowledge, problem solving and therapeutic techniques to perform professional nursing duties safely, legally, ethically, efficiently and effectively.
- Knowledge of pathophysiology of specific disease processes and understands treatment modalities and rationale such as: surgery, therapy, symptom management, diet and self-care strategies, survivorship, surveillance and advanced care planning.
- Understand and apply current clinical guidelines in implementing a treatment plan.
- Manage physical, mental, psychological and/or spiritual well-being while working with the patient to develop a treatment plan and contribute to its implementation and evaluation.
- Provide continuity of care throughout the entire experience. Remain a point of contact for the patient along the continuum of care:
- Respond appropriately to instances of unsafe practice to safeguard the patient’s health;
- Maintain an environment conducive to health and healing including infection control;
- Provides referrals to supportive resources at local, regional and national levels;
- Provides treatment summaries and care plans for patients after receiving treatment.
- Provides education to patient/caregiver on items such as: disease/symptom management, medication purpose and side effects, diet, rehabilitation and when to notify the healthcare provider.
- Assess the health needs of the patient using a bio-psycho-social-spiritual framework including self-determined health goals and develop a plan of care for the patient based on his or her own personal needs.
- Participates in related national and local professional nursing organizations, reviews literature and assess trends in patient care needs and development of services and resources to meet these needs.
- Performs nursing techniques proficiently by maintaining accurate documentation, using appropriate channels of referral and working effectively with other health care team members.
- Assessment of patient’s ability to navigate through the healthcare system and identify potential barriers. Guide patient through the healthcare system including:
- Appropriate referrals to nutrition support, social work, financial counseling, psychology, rehab and/or palliative care.
- Ability to communicate among specialty practices with the healthcare organization- build relationship with physicians and staff.
- Screen and inform patients who may be eligible for clinical trials for advancement of practice.
- Advocate and facilitate access to the appropriate services to individuals with disabilities and advocate for equal access for all patients regardless of financial status.
- Advocate for the patient’s right to autonomy and an informed decision making process.
- Identify and implement methodologies for continuous quality improvement within the service line and support disease specific performance improvement initiatives.
- Actively engage and participate in community outreach, education and supportive services programs, including appropriate screening programs or educational and health awareness promotion activities.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Current licensure as a Registered Professional Nurse, issued by the PA State Board of Nursing.
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing, healthcare management or related field.
- Certification in related specialty (location specific) required within 3 years of hire :
- Oncology Certification issued by OCN, OBPN or CBCN
- Heart Failure Certification issued by CHFN
- Case Management issued by ACMA, CCMC or ANCC
- Stroke Certified Registered Nurse (SCRN)
- Three (3) or more years of experience as a clinical nurse in related specialty.
Posted on 03/04/2020
- Five (5) or more years of experience as a clinical nurse in related specialty.
- Masters of Science Degree Nursing (MSN).
- Experience in care coordination and patient education.